Christmas in the 1960's

Not too long ago, I had my grandmother's old home movies converted to digital. For no other reason than to have a safe place to store them (in case my computer ever crashed or something), I posted them on YouTube. No big deal. I don't care about views or getting subscribers, etc. It's just a place for me to keep my stuff for me (kind of like this blog, more or less).

What I did find interesting recently was that, of the three home movies that focused on Christmas (in 1965, 66, and 67), one had 111 views. One had 371 views. But the third, for some reason, had 8,811 views (!!!). What the heck? I've watched the video--and there's nothing all that special about it. I don't understand the attraction.

The one from 1967 has the lowest views. In it, my brother makes his home movie debut at only a few months old...and I try to run my uncle's wife over with this cool little car thing I got as a gift. Plus there is a sneaky shot of Pat (my uncle's wife) getting some aspirin or something out of her purse to get through Christmas at the in-laws' house. Ha! What's not to love about that?



The one from 1965 is also more interesting to me than the one with the most views. Not only is it my first Christmas, there is this whole "staged" thing where my grandfather "surprises" my grandmother with a brand new Lincoln Mercury.



This third video is the one with nearly 9,000 hits. I just don't get why. What about it stands out over the other two? Can you explain the appeal?





This fourth video is from a recent digital transfer. It hails from Christmas 1969, I believe. In it is my little brother's (that's him below) first real Christmas experience and a new Irish Setter puppy we named Bonnie. This has virtually no views (and is probably the least interesting of the four?) as it is brand new to YouTube. Take a look or don't.



Thanks for looking.

Ho-Ho Ho and CHEERS!


Comments