A Vintage A&W in Hanford, California


The other day I went to go visit my brother, who is temporarily working at the Lemoore Naval Air Base about an hour from where I live. While he was at work, I decided to visit the small towns in the area. I saw some interesting things here and there--but nothing all that exciting. And then I came across this cool vintage A&W drive-in in Hanford. 




A few months back I visited a nifty, old A&W drive-in in Modesto, California (look HERE). While this one was not as large as that one (no indoor dining area, no playground, no A&W Burger Family figures, etc.), it was still a treat to see this retro drive-in still in operation...and with carhops to boot. I had to investigate.





There weren't many people there---fortunately for me. I got to poke about, get my nerd on, and take all sorts of photos.






The place was tiny, really. There was no dining room---just room for cars to park and a patio area with seating (that I believe was added in later).






I asked when the A&W had opened. I wanted to know how old it was. The employees there were clueless and could not help me. I tried to look it up. I found references to the other location at the Hanford Mall (owned by other people apparently), but no information on this classic gem.







There were mugs and jugs for sale in the window. I debated getting a mug, but deciuded I really didn't need one. I was also surprised to learn that next year, 2019, A&W will be celebrating its 100th anniversary. Zowie!





I was delighted to see the carhop order boxes were still being used there. How cool.






It was kind of sad that the Ice-O-Matic machine had to be completely caged in to protect it from vandals (the front, sides and top!). The bathrooms on either side sported the narrowest of doors that would never make code today.






Of course, I couldn't resist a peek inside...






Okay...YES, I was going to meet my brother for dinner later on and I really should not have done so, but I couldn't help myself. I was there. I NEEDED to have a Papa Burger and a nice, ice-cold cup o' root beer.






Ooooo... just look at that Papa Burger. Yowza!






Although I didn't eat it in the car (Drat! I should have...), they still served it to me on a vintage carhop tray. Cool.






As I drove away, I couldn't help but take one last shot...






An added, last-minute surprise was the burger and fries painted on the back of the restaurant.








A&W
1113 N 10th Ave
Hanford, CA 93230
(559) 584-7579

Comments

Cassidyornellas said…
Hey! I’m from Hanford! And this was built in the early 1950s!
Monster A Go-Go said…
Hey, Cassidyornellas . I am just now seeing your comment. Thanks for visiting the page. I hope you enjoy your vintage A&W often. It is a jewel. CHEERS!
Unknown said…
This was awesome. Thank you for showing so many of the little details that only geeks like us would care about. I am so grateful when relics like these survive and not just as museums or restorations.
Monster A Go-Go said…
Hello "Unknown." Thanks for visiting. I'm glad you found the page. (HOW you found it is a mystery. I've Googled things on my blog and never see anything from it. Ha!) Hopefully you have some classics like this A&W near you to enjoy. Cheers!