Adventures in Oregon 2017 Part 4: The CONCLUSION

And now (hopefully), the conclusion of our Adventures in Oregon 2017.

The morning after the wedding, we ate breakfast (just barely getting in before the 10 A.M. cutoff time) at the hotel and then headed back to Bend. Four and a half hours to go...UGH!

It was a Sunday and I was surprised to see that the "prescribed fire" was STILL underway, although by now it was just smoldering smoke here and there,







We passed or went through several small towns, like this place, Dayville. No, we didn't stop. (I just took these shot and others because more than likely you will never see these places...)




I had seen this on the way to Baker City, but had not been able to get my phone out in time before we passed it by. It is out in the middle of nowhere, miles from any place. Just what is it? It is a tree covered with shoes. SERIOUSLY! The next time your mom says "Shoes don't grow on trees, you know," you can tell her that yes, they do. Ha!



On the way to Baker City, we passed this small town of Mitchell and thought about stopping on the way back for lunch of something.



Uh, there wasn't a whole lot there...so lunch did not happen.


There was a very clean public restroom we did stop at for a little bladder relief...and thank goodness we did because I suddenly had an emergency evacuation of another kind. Yowza! Where did that come from?






After arriving back in Bend and returning to our AirBnB, we went with Robin and Skye to visit their friend Eileen for dinner. Eileen is a 70-something senior who was overly gracious (Skye had cooked dinner---salmon for everyone, chicken for me) and made us all of these amazing appetizers, sides and desserts. Aside from cooking, she also had the most amazing garden.



















  The next morning, we met Robin and Skye at Jackson's Corner for breakfast.



We parted company after that. Erich and I stopped at Fred Meyer (I love Fred Meyer...again, something I've only seen in Oregon. It's part grocery store, part drug store, part department store. It's nice---like a really nice Target or a deluxe Super WalMart--but BETTER than both of them.)










After Fred Meyer, we stopped at Lava Lands National Park.






There is an extinct volcano at Lava Lands and acres upon acres of cooled lava. It's wild. it is so easy to imagine the lava still hot and slowly pushing its way forward like it had done thousands of years ago.







That's Mt. Bachelor in the background.




Although it is hard to see, that is the grouping of mountains known as Three Sisters in the background.








After Lava Lands, we ventured across the highway to the Lava River Cave for a 1.3 mile adventure in an old lava tube.



Here is a video I made utilizing photos and videos I took on the adventure. Watch if you'd like---at your own claustrophobic risk!  EEEK!



Following the cave, we met Robin and Skye for what would be the last time this trip. We went to Tomo Japanese Restaurant where, on Monday nights, they have half-price sushi. There was a line forming at the door when we got there...and needless to say, we pigged out.







After sushi, we happened to drive by the Holiday Motel (love the sign), where we almost ended up staying. I'm glad we didn't, because...


...it backs up to the glamorous Bend Trailer Park. Oh my!




The next day, again amazingly early for Erich, we hit the road for the horribly L-O-N-G trip home. There really isn't much of note, but I compiled my photos and video of these last 12 hours (8 hours back to the Bay Area and Erich's house coupled with an additional 4 hours on the train back home for me) if you really must see. 


But finally, I was home. Phew. (Of course, it was off to another 12-hour day at the hospital the very next day. No rest for me... Waaaagh!)


Thanks for taking the trip with me.

CHEERS!

Comments

Mildred Pierce said…
I will be there soon, to disinfect and sanitize the trail of filth you left behind............
Monster A Go-Go said…
Please don't bother. The destruction all of the disease and utter depravity you'd leave in your wake is far, FAR worse than the minute traces of anything i may have left behind. Do Oregon and the entire West Coast a favor...keep OUT! XoXo, dah-ling!
Oregon is so beautiful. I was there on a road trip many years ago with Susan, my friend from San Leandro. We drove from the Bay Area through Oregon to Seattle and visited the San Juan Islands. Gorgeous area. Glad you made it back home safe and sound (well I don't know about sound....) Ha.
Monster A Go-Go said…
My mother, brother, and nephew live in the San Juan Islands...on Whidbey Island to be precise. My mother bought me a house up there for if/when I ever move up there....which is a possibility 5 or so years down the road. It's a BIG place...5 bedrooms. You (and Susan) will have to come up and visit me if/when i ever move up there.