FLASH BACK: New Orleans 2015 Part 10--The Conclusion

Hey there. This is it. The FINAL entry in my New Orleans saga. Assorted things I want to touch on...

World War II Museum:

The World War II Museum is supposed to be the biggest tourist attraction in New Orleans and the 2nd (?) biggest in the United States. It is very well done...but I was bored. WWII is such a sprawling story to tell--the fighting in Europe and the Pacific and the political events that led up to it all is much too broad to capture in one space effectively and tell the full story in a way that is engaging. But whatever. I came. I saw. I left.







Mardi Gras World:

Mardi Gras World was charming and delightful, but it was one of those places you only need to visit once...and that also pretty much vanishes from memory quickly. It also had a shuttle bus to pick you up/drop you off. But, alas, there were no drunk broads on board to amuse us this time.
Inside they teach visitors about the history of Mardi Gras and some of the traditions. They even serve the traditional Mardi Gras cake (with a hidden tiny plastic baby in one piece for some lucky visitor, also a tradition---the person who finds it has to pay for next year's Mardi Gras festivities. EEEK!). Further in, you see some of the marvelous props that are created for the marvelous Mardi Gras floats. Some are being built for the coming year. Others are retired from previous years. Others still and re-purposed for use as other things. There are some amazing pieces of art in the huge warehouse.






Also, unexpectedly, there was the authentic Bat Boat from one of the "BATMAN" movies from the 80s/90s. Zowie!




St. Louis Cathedral:

St. Louis Cathedral was a beautiful-looking church in the French Quarter. Even though the insides of old churches are scary to me (CREEPY!!!), I was hoping for a peek into this one. Not only was it one of the landmarks in the French Quarter that I had heard of, it had also been featured in a few of the vampire novels I had read of Anne Rice's years ago. 


Outside of the church in both the front and the back, there were usually performers, artists, fortune tellers, etc. all trying to sell their wares/talents...and earn the tourist dollar. I know it may sound seedy, but it wasn't. It was different than a zillion other places that have the same type of thing. In fact, particularly where the artists were selling their paintings, it reminded me of old movies that took place in Paris for some reason. Ooo la la. After all, it  was the French Quarter, right?





I really hoped to be able to go in to the cathedral itself, but every time we went by it was closed. I read a sign saying it was open on Sundays for mass---but us getting up and getting ready on a Sunday morning and attending a mass (especially since we really did not have any nice clothes with us--well, I didn't any way), was not going to happen. Imagine our surprise when, on our last full day there (a Monday, actually) we walked by and ...it was open! Surprisingly, instead of being dark and creepy---it was fairly light and airy, and I didn't get freaked out like I usually do in old churches.




Voodoo Shops:

I've already posted pictures of Rev. Zombies' House of Voodoo and Marie Leveau's Voodoo Shop...but here are a few other pictures. Most of the shops would NOT let you take photos inside. Hex, which was away from the tourist areas (very near Aunt Tiki's, the Halloween-themed tiki bar) did let me take pictures inside--but I didn't take many. It also had a medium available for tarot card/palm readings.,,,but I didn't have that done. Most of the stuff in the shops, while interesting, were disappointing. No "eye of newt" or "tail of rat". Mostly soaps or incense designed to bring you love or money or revenge. Even the voodoo dolls were disappointing. They were mostly mass produced (and boring) generic things -- not the slick-looking freaky-creepy Hollywood variety voodoo doll.  You had to check voodoo shops out (Hello? You're in New Orleans)--but, eh. I didn't buy anything.




Filming:

The night of my birthday, after leaving the restaurant, we first encountered filming going on in the French Quarter. Although I do not know for sure, I heard they were filming an episode of "CSI: NEW ORLEANS". We saw evidence of filming around town at least 3 times while there. Cool.





Music/Parades:

Like you may have heard or imagined, there are impromptu concerts and parades all of the time. Musicians playing by the cathedral or Jackson Square are sort of expected, but in the middle of a street in the afternoon? Ha!  I didn't necessarily hear a lot of jazz...but I wasn't really looking for it either. These performances and parades I just happened upon. 




Wax Museum:

I love my wax museums. The cheesier/worse they are, the better. This wax museum I almost had to beg Erich to visit, but we walked right by it on the way back from the cemetery tour...so why not? Ha! It was deliciously lame. Most of it was the history of New Orleans/Louisiana, but there was also a wonderfully awful Chamber of Horrors (they had a Freddy Kruger figure from the "Nightmare on Elm Street" series, and all it was was a mannequin, dressed in costume, with a Halloween store-purchased rubber mask and glove--CHEESY!).


This scene depicts Madame LeLaurie and her torture of slaves in her mansion. This is supposed to be the place that we were told is the most haunted house in New Orleans on the ghost tour.


Voodoo priestess Marie Leveau makes a midnight call...


Voodoo!


Prostitutes fighting on Basin Street. Ha!


This cyclops is at the entrance to the Chamber of Horrors


Just look at those horrific expressions. HA!!!  Cheesy! Cheesy! Cheesy!



Final thoughts of Bourbon Street/French Quarter/New Orleans in general:

While Bourbon Street is the most famous thing about New Orleans, it was my least favorite. It was nothing but strip clubs and raucous bars geared for the early 20-something crowd. Not that there aren't bars elsewhere--hello? I found 3 tiki bars--but they are just not as obnoxious or loud as those on Bourbon. But, with all of its lights and all of the people, there is an attraction to Bourbon, despite the ultimate disappointment found there (for me anyway). After that first night there when we walked down it and saw what a tourist trap it was, we pretty much avoided it. The one night Erich wanted to sit on his bed and watch TV, I did take a 2nd brief walk down it alone...just in case I missed something. Being alone, I was of course nervous I'd be pickpocketed or mugged or something, despite the crowds all around me. As I walked down the street, this well-dressed young African American man asked me if I knew what time it was. Nervous, but not wanting to be rude, I looked down at my watch. Before I could answer, he said, "It's titty time! Get on in there," referring to a strip club that was behind me.

That pretty much sums up Bourbon Street to me.



But the French Quarter in general was wonderful. I felt very comfortable there. Aside from Bourbon Street, there was so much to do and see. Sadly, there were many shops and (especially) restaurants that went unexplored (and untasted) when I left. The architecture of the French Quarter was enchanting. It was like being at Disneyland or on a movie set 24-7.







New Orleans itself, what I saw of it, in or out of the French Quarter, seemed to have a great energy and the people were very friendly. If we had the money, either of us would have loved to have a place there to live--during the "off season" (avoiding the sweltering summer months). We were both charmed by the place. For me, it was a magical birthday trip. It was the BEST 50th birthday trip I've ever had. 




​And guess what... you are DONE!  No more New Orleans blog entries. Hooray!

I hope I wasn't too boring in my rambling and LONG series.

CHEERS!

Comments