FLASHBACK: Maui 2015 Part 3

Aloha to the third flashback installment of my 2015 trip to Maui. It's another low-key day in paradise (things start to pick up on the 4th day. Really. Hang on!) We got up again, but not in time to go to the volcano at sunrise. No big deal. I don't know what Ricki and Ted were doing, but Erich and I wanted breakfast--so off we went in search of some.

I had looked around the day before (looking for a post office) the northern side of Kihei and had spotted some fast food places. Erich had a hankering for breakfast from Taco Bell. So we made a run for the border...only to find they did not serve breakfast. Okay.

Just on the other side of the post office was a McDonalds. We pulled in there and got breakfast at the last moment (they were just starting to switch to the lunch menu). While we had the usual breakfast fare, I noticed a sign saying they also offered Portuguese sausage and/or Spam with their breakfasts. NO THANK YOU! There was another sign announcing they had taro root pies. I got us a taro pie to try. It was okay--but too sweet.




​As we were walking back to the car, I noticed an outdoor craft fair right on the other side of the parking lot. I think it's probably there all of the time (it was while we were there). It was nothing but sectioned off booths under tents and crude shelters. Basically, it's all for the tourists. One guy carved ginormous tiki idols--bigger than me. Others had clothes, jewelry, fruit, and souvenirs.




Erich bought me some cool tiki masks for my future in-home tiki bar (someday...). Then we went to a produce vendor who, with a machete, hacked open a fresh coconut, so we could enjoy the coconut water inside. Yum!




Later, when we got back, I think Ted, Ricki and Erich were going scuba diving--and I, with my recently operated on knee, decided not to go. What did I do instead? I decided to go back to Kahului (where the airport is--not too far away) and catch a movie. REALLY! I also picked up more postcards at the Longs Drugs near the theater (It's really a CVS, but everything--signs, layout, bags, etc., say "Longs Drugs"...but you need a CVS card to get discounts. Ha!). I ended up seeing a stupid horror film, of course---but set in a quasi-tropical location. I saw "The Green Inferno"--a movie about cannibals! Ha!



When I got back, it was just about sunset again...so I tried to capture another sunset. Erich, Ricki and Ted joined me on the roof and we sipped Ted's marvelous margarita's that are made from scratch.





​Finally, dinner time rolled around again. I pushed for pizza from the tiki bar. We phoned it in and I went to pick it up. It wasn't ready (of course), so I had a cocktail while I waited (a Green Spark. Eh...).



So finally, not only did I get to go to the BEST BAR on Maui, but we were going to eat the BEST PIZZA on Maui. Hmm. No where on the sign did it mention it was also home to the BEST INDIGESTION on Maui. Not only could I not sleep well as usual, my stomach was bothering me all night. UGH! There were leftovers. No one ate them.

Still to come--finally getting away from the condo and doing things! Hooray!

Aloha until next time.

CHEERS!

Comments