FLASHBACK: Maui 2015 Part 7




Aloha...for the final time!

That last morning, we were all up early. Ricki and Ted were up because they had to head back to the airport long before we did. I was up because, as it had been the whole trip, I just really didn't sleep well on that awful twin bed. Erich was up as well. I'm not sure what got him up, but he was not a happy camper.

At the beginning of the trip, I had wondered what I would write in the condo's guest book. By that last morning, I just really didn't feel like writing anything. Not Erich. He was in a rage and told the guest book just what he thought...





Ouch!

After we said our goodbyes to Ricki and Ted, Erich and I set about cleaning up the condo. We threw out all of the open packages of food (including draining the last of Ricki's chardonnay...down the drain it went!). We left the unopened packaged food for the next visitors (I did eat the last two ice cream bars though...hee hee!), even though I thought the cleaning staff that followed us would probably dump everything any way.

We headed back to airport town (don't even ask me to look it up again). Our flight wasn't until 3:30 pm, but we had to have the rental car back by noon or so. That left a L-O-N-G wait at the airport.

The airport was kind of uniquely designed. Although covered, it was by and large open-aired. What that translated to during our wait was no air conditioning. Ha!





After walking down a very l-o-n-g hall to our departure gate, I decided to go all of the way back to the center of the terminal to look for some last-minute souvenirs and snacks for the flight (all very overpriced).  After walking all of the way back, Erich and I went all of the way back down the l-o-n-g hall again to the in-airport restaurant (Sammy's...It seems it is owned by Sammy Haggar) for a so-so lunch and bad drinks--all over priced. I had a mojito...and Erich gave me his mojito as well (they weren't good. Really). I had to gear up for the flight. Eeek!




Once on board the plane, I was my usual panicked/terrified self. Luckily there were some seats that were empty across the aisle, so the woman sitting next to me got to move over and sit with her husband.  That gave me more room to stretch out as well---and be more visible to those around me. The woman across the aisle asked me a few times about my fear of flying. As did the flight attendant. I told them I wouldn't scream or bolt for the door or anything like that, I'm just irrationally terrified of flying and heights..but have flown many times. The flight attendant asked if she could do anything for me. I told her I was fine, but I would like to buy a cocktail from her as soon as possible.

After take off, I had to wait for them to go up and down the aisle renting little iPad things. Once that was done, before they'd pushed the cart all of the way down the aisle to the beginning of coach, the flight attendant came by to take my cocktail order. Thank God!  She also gave me a couple of extra snacks to eat--which Erich gobbled up. They started beverage service but had to return to their seats because of TURBULENCE!  Oh my stars!! I know it was not as bad as it could have been, but it was hell for me. I looked at Erich and said "I can't do this any more"--and we have been thinking about going to Europe at some point in the next year or so. Geez! What am I going to do?



The turbulence lasted a while and finally they resumed the beverage service. I had two more cocktails. They came around for a second sweep---and I had 2 more!  Seven cocktails to get me home--and that was still NOT enough.

When the flight was over, the nosy lady across from the aisle wished me luck and told me she was glad I still traveled despite my fear. Her brother, sitting ahead of us (and obviously aware of the situation) said "That's why I take a pill before I fly." An older lady behind me told me I did very well on the flight and another older guy, also in front of me, asked if that had been my first flight. UGH! How embarrassing--but I can NOT help it.  Geez! I just do NOT know if I can set foot on an airplane ever again. I am THAT terrified!

Anyway, we got in about 11 and got a cab back to Erich's.


All too soon I was back in Fresno. Waaagh.

But that was the trip.  I don't know what it was --my knee, being on a tight budget and not as able to share in expenses as I would have liked, not sleeping well, or I don't know what---but I felt so disconnected from everyone on this trip. It was a good trip, but I just wasn't all there. Maybe it was my pain pills? I don't know. Hawaii was gorgeous though--and now it seems like only a dream.


Thanks for visiting the page.

CHEERS!

Comments