I'm Freaky for Tiki 2: The Purple Orchid

In wanting to talk about my favorite tiki places, I WISH I was better organized (or had at least PLANNED to do this down the road, so I could share more important information about the places I want to talk about--like yummy drink names and whether or not they sell tiki mugs). I also wish I took better pictures. GRR. Alas, I'm going to have to wing it...at least on this first one.

The Purple Orchid in El Segunda, California, is---while not my favorite tiki bar in the world, it is---one of my favorites. I discovered this place a few years ago while staying near LAX (probably for one of the has-been celebrity shows I'm known to frequent. Ha. Soooo lame...). It's kind of a dive bar---but what a great dive bar. I loved it as soon as I walked in the door.




As far as mugs go, there ARE several different mugs available from time to time. They tend to sell out, so you have to be there at the right time in order to be able to buy one. One souvenir mug can be seen below on the left. 




I love how laid back it is in The Purple Orchid. The drawbacks though, in my opinion, are the seating options. With the two big pool tables (which, I am sure are popular at times), that just leaves the very long bar to sit at. There is ONE booth and ONE free-standing table. That's it. 


I dig the crazy tiki decor, complete with puffer fish lights! Who ever thought to illuminate fish corpses? Crazy, man.


There's even a small cage filled with shrunken heads. Zowie!


The neon figure is the symbol/god for The Purple Orchid.








My favorite cocktail there has something with "monkey" in the name. Or maybe, "banana"? I don't think it's "Planet of the Apes.  I think it's the "Curious George", but it could be the "Frozen Banana". Anyway, there is a little plastic monkey hanging on the side of it.






Here is another of the tiki mugs I got there on a separate visit. It's the bar's own tiki god/symbol guy.


Here is my friend, Christa Polkinhorn holding up the drink menu. She's probably had every drink on the menu by now at least a dozen times.


Really cool modern tiki ads for other events/places adorn the bar and are actually lacquered onto the top of it.



Here are Christa and I in the booth. Christa is holding up her then latest novel. Notice the empty glasses in front of Christa? Wink. Wink.



Christa wears her Bat glasses and holds yet another cocktail in her hand, while admiring the stylish lederhosen-wearing unicorn Christmas ornament in front of her.


Here is a picture of Erich, me, Christa, and Christa's friend (I forget his name) one evening at the Purple Orchid. We scored the booth AGAIN! Ha! This photo was taken by a tikiphile from Sacramento (I believe) who was on a tiki tour of Southern California. He was having the time of his life, but his wife just looked bored (and you could tell she was the designated driver. He was drinking. She was not). I wish I could have gotten his name. It was very nice of him to snap this shot of us.


I'm really fond of The Purple Orchid. I think it deserves a better reputation than it's "score" on Critiki (a lousy 7.3). You can check out the Purple Orchid's page (see if you can spot some of my photos while you are at it) HERE. You can also see The Purple Orchid's Facebook page HERE. Check it out...and have a Curious George for me.

CHEERS!


  • THE PURPLE ORCHID

  • 221 Richmond St
    El Segundo, CA 90245
  •  Phone number(310) 322-5829

Comments