In memory of Boo -- National Pet Memorial Day

Today, Sept. 10, 2017, is National Pet Memorial Day. Really. Google it. It's the second Sunday of September. Yesterday at work, someone asked me about the dog I used to have. She had heard from a co-worker that I had once had a chow chow and she wants one. All I could think to do to show her pictures of Boo, was to send her a link to the video I had made of him and posted the day he died.

Then, last night before I went to bed, I watched the video myself again. I wept and wept...and it has been nearly eight years since Boo died. When I found out today was National Pet Memorial Day, I thought I should make a post for the old Boo hound. I loved that dog so much, more than anything really. I still mourn his passing.

If you'd like to see the tribute video I made for him and posted on Dec. 2, 2009, it is here:


The video kind of tells the whole story, so I won't go into much detail here. As the video shows though, I did not have Boo from a puppy. He was already an adult dog when we rescued him after he had been abandoned. I was afraid of him at first as the breed has a reputation, but he was gentle and loving and fiercely protective. Even though Erich lived in San Leandro and I lived in Clovis, we cared for him equally together and Boo loved us equally, too. We only had him about 8 years or so. That was way too short of a time. 

I have had (and loved) many animals in my life time -- dogs, cats, hamsters, rabbits, etc. But Boo was the most amazing, sensitive, intuitive dog. I have often thought about getting another companion, but there will never be another like Boo. 


The above photo is probably my favorite photo of Boo and I. I wish I had more pictures and more video of Boo.  Boo may be gone, but he is also near. I have his ashes in an urn on my mantel, along with his collar and leash. I intend to take him with me when I am laid to rest so we can always be together.


I love you Boo.

Comments