I'm Freaky for Tiki #3: The Golden Tiki in Las Vegas



I enjoy visiting Las Vegas, especially when there is a new(er) tiki bar to explore. My best pal Erich and I checked it out on our huge road trip this past spring. While Frankie's Tiki Bar remains my all-time top tiki bar (thus far...and I'll save a post about that for a future time), The Golden Tiki was no slouch. It was really well done.


While I didn't see any slots (I'm guessing they were at the bar?), and I missed happy hour, The Golden Tiki gets a big thumbs up in almost all areas. 




While the exterior left a bit to be desired (although it is evident the owners TRIED...there is only so much you can do in a strip mall, I suppose), the big, nautical-looking double doors with the faux lava rock archway was a nice touch.


As soon as we got in and were seated, I jumped up with my camera and starting getting shots. I started in the back room first. It was a large room, probably meant for dancing, private parties, or overflow on very crowded nights.


As with any tiki bar worth its salt, the decor on the inside is a huge part of whether or not a bar succeeds. Tiki bar's, to me, should transport you out of the everyday and off to some uncharted tropical locale---real or imagined. The Golden Tiki does this very well.


From the twinkling stars overhead to the primitive-looking hut-like booths and bar and the wonderful "mood lighting", you can easily forget you are in a Vegas strip mall with blazing temperatures outside.














 Cocktails are key ingredients for any tiki bar. They are their life's blood, so to speak. Erich had something that was served flaming in a coconut-shaped bowl.


My cocktail was pretty standard looking. Complete with a parasol, of course. Erich was less than impressed with his drink (The "Trial By Fire," maybe?). I think we both liked mine better---but I don't remember what it was at this point. Hmm. 





The place seemed like something you'd find at Disneyland. It really was very well done. However, in talking to our waitress that night and discussing tiki bars, we reluctantly had to admit that Frankie's Tiki Bar down the road was our favorite. She said that Frankie's was everyone's favorite. Still, you have to give a lot of credit to the amazing place The Golden Tiki is.



The decor was awesome. The drinks were okay (to be fair, we only tried the one each). What didn't I like at The Golden Tiki? Well, I DID like the fact they had souvenir mugs. However, I was less than impressed with them. They had three when I visited, and, of course, I snatched them up. The monkey one was okay...but I wasn't as wild about the two mermaid glasses. They were all from Tiki Farm, which is good. However, no where on the mugs was "The Golden Tiki" written. These could have been generic mugs from anywhere.

The mugs: "Troubles", "Top Banana", and "Bubbles"


The biggest draw back (for me) was the LOUD live music. I get it, they are trying to draw in a (young) crowd and pay the rent/bills. But, ugh... I like rockabilly surf music, but not when it's cranked up to 11 and I'm trying to relax, have a conversation and enjoy my cocktails. Just put on some old Martin Denny CDs and I'll be fine. My advice: Avoid the live music nights and/or go during the music-free periods. The music that night alone was a key factor for not sticking around for another drink. We needed to spare our ears more than quench any thirst.


Bottom line: While Erich was not impressed (The loud music and the drink he didn't care for were his deciding factors), I was more forgiving and actually think The Golden Tiki is worth checking out. I'll be back someday--hopefully. I dug it, man.

Explore The Golden Tiki yourself. The official website is HERE. Their official Facebook page is HERE. And, just in case, take a look at its page on Critiki HERE.

The Golden Tiki
3939 Spring Mountain Rd.
Las Vegas, NV 89102

CHEERS!

Comments