I'm Freaky For Tiki #6: Tiki-Ko in Bakersfield

"Hi. I'm drinking in Bakersfield. Being in Bakersfield is enough reason for anyone to drink, but there is a new tiki bar here and it is fab!"


So began a text message to my friend Christa, who I had recently visited. She had texted me, wanting to know if I had made it home safely. But home was still hours away. Why? Because the tiki bar I had stopped to see, Tiki-Ko, really was fab. I didn't want to leave.



It's always a bit...what? Awkward? Scary? for me stepping into an unfamiliar bar for the first time, especially when I am alone.  I've never been a "bar" person, except when it comes to the tiki variety, of course. But this one, on the corner of K Street and some alley in Bakersfield (of all places), kind of had me nervous. What would it be like?


I was greeted by a very friendly bartender almost right away. I looked around, wide-eyed at the cool place and then took a seat at the bar. The bartender was very welcoming. He wanted to know where I was was from, had I been there before, how had I heard about the place, etc. I told him I had found out about it on Critiki. He asked my name and introduced himself. He said that the people there called him Benny, but his real name is Belisario. I asked if he was the owner. He said no, pointed out the owner and called him over to introduce me. Wow! Now that is super friendly nice. 

Roy, the owner, came over and we chatted a bit. I had emailed him via his Facebook page a while back, telling him I was planning on doing an article for The Fresno Bee on tiki in the valley (or lack there of) and wanted to feature Tiki-Ko. I said I would be stopping in that weekend. After talking with him for a few minutes, I reminded him of the email and explained what I was doing there. (Yes, aside from just visiting the place for my own personal interest, I have an article idea simmering away on the not-so-back burner.)  He remembered my note and said he hadn't had time to reply yet. That was okay, I said, he was busy. 

And he was busy. He was trying to talk to me, while greeting some regular customers and friends who dropped in and taking calls for the business. 

Roy gave me permission to roam around and take photos, but first I wanted to get my drink on.


The drink menu had lots of classics, or rather, Tiki-Ko's take on classics. There was also a seasonal menu of spooky drink specials. Benny told me there was an off-menu list of cocktails as well.


I asked Benny what he'd recommend. A pair of regulars gave the Mai Tais a thumbs up. I was curious about the specials (Hello? With names like The Black Lagoon, The Mummy's Curse and Blood For Dracula, how could I not be?). I asked which was Benny's favorite. He said he had only tried The Black Lagoon so far and he wasn't partial to it. He then asked Roy across the room which was his favorite. Roy and another guy with him chimed in and said The Black Lagoon. Ha! So...that left me nowhere. I had had Mai Tais before, so I wanted to try something new. I asked Benny what his fave was and he said a Saturn. So, I ordered a Saturn (which the descriptions says is "out of this world").


The Saturn was good, but "out of this world"? I wasn't so sure. Anyway, I was loving the bar. It is small, but still cool. And in Bakersfield? That was mind-blowing.  I got up and took some photos.


The photos were to share with you here and also for the proposed article. Of course, the added Halloween decorations were going to be problematic. I'd either have to shoot around them or...come back again down the road. Ha!


It's a small place. There's just the bar with two booths along the far wall and a standing room only area along the nearer wall. But the decorations are spot on. The interior was designed by Tiki Diablo (Danny Gallardo is his real name. I think the little tiki set I bought at Home Depot was also by Tiki Diablo. Ha!)




The owner, Roy, told me that plans are underway to create a second bar in the basement that runs beneath the building. It will be about three times the size of Tiki-Ko. Benny told me it will be kind of like a pirates cave-themed tiki bar. Groovy! I'll HAVE to come back to visit that. It is expected to open early next year.




Obligatory puffer fish lamp? Check!

Benny was fast on his feet making cocktails. But he also kept the conversation going. He was very pro-Bakersfield (I had never actually been in Bakersfield proper before. In addition to Tiki-Ko there were some other surprises in town that I'd soon experience. But I'll save those for a different blog post). He was also knowledgeable about the tiki culture. He'd been aware of it before getting the job, but he'd really fallen into it with the job and was now embracing it and looking forward to experiencing more of it. He also agreed to be an interviewee for my article.


For my second drink, I decided to take the plunge and ordered up a Black Lagoon. In those murky depths was one tasty cocktail. The coconut activated charcoal (!?!) did have a strange after taste though. Benny gave me a little monster figure to go with it. It may NOT be the Creature from the Black Lagoon, but it is a creature of some sort.




If any tiki bar has mugs for sale, I'm a sucker and I'll buy them. Tiki-Ko had two different ones for sale--a parrot and a shark mug. I got both. On the plus side, they are nice mugs. On the negative side, they are not signature mugs. In other words, no where on them do they say "Tiki-Ko".  Waaaagh. (I've since learned there was a signature coconut-shaped mug. They were out of them when I was there. Maybe I can score one on eBay?)


 However, after ordering them, the other bartender (I forget his name) got them ready for me and wrapped them up far more fancier than I'd have ever imagined. Zowie!


After leaving (this will all be detailed in a future blog entry), I decided to return to Tiki-Ko for one last drink before hitting the road (Drinking and driving...now that is safe. NOT! I was okay to drive. Clearly. I'm here, aren't I?). The bar had gotten more crowded since I had left (a good sign. If the bar is busy, it won't be in danger of having to close down any time soon). Benny and Roy were happy to see me back. Roy fetched a barstool for me to sit on and Benny happily resumed our conversation. I also ordered another drink. This time I wanted it to be Benny's choice. He concocted something from the off-menu list.


Benny certainly worked his magic on this one. The drink had a fire burning in a hallowed out lime rind. To this he sprinkled some powder and the sparks flew! Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Guana Zombie! Mmmm. Super tasty.



Certainly the success of any tiki bar for tiki fans is based on the ambiance, the decor and the quality of the drinks. I think the friendliness and customer service of the employees also plays a big part in how a bar is perceived, whether it be tiki or otherwise. I think a large part of why I walked out loving Tiki-Ko so much is because of the employees and how they treated me. I felt like an old friend...not just some stranger passing through. And I felt that way immediately, even before it was revealed I was doing the tiki article. Great drinks! Great people! Great bar! And in Bakersfield. Go figure. (It sure beats the NOTHING we have in Fresno.)


Before leaving though, I thought it best to visit the "Enchanted Pee Pee Room". Ha! You gotta love it.





Awesome!


Check out Tiki-Ko for yourself. You can find them on Facebook HERE. And, even though I posted it earlier (you may have missed it), their Critiki page is HERE.

TIKI-KO
1919 K St.Bakersfield, California 93301


CHEERS!

Comments