Whidbey Island Part 5

Friday, October 27th, 2017

On Friday, my last full day on the island, Brawn only had to be in school for a half day. So, once he was picked up, he, Charla, Mom and I headed to Oak Harbor to have lunch at China City.


Brawn was kind of aloof, but I snuck a photo of him in the back seat anyway.


We arrived at the restaurant.





All Brawn wanted for lunch was Egg Flower Soup. Really. Was he being shy...or just a teenager? I said I was going to make a movie called "Brawn Eats Soup". He didn't believe me...but here it is:




Once we left the restaurant, I wanted to head back to the Halloween store. It dawned on me that my wig and mustache set for my Captain Hook Halloween costume would probably come withOUT spirit gum and there'd be no way to attach it. I ended up being right. Glad we stopped and got some.






After that, it was off to Walmart. I saw a selection of Ugly Christmas sweaters. I took pictures and sent them to my friend / co-worker Melaney, as she is the Queen of Ugly Christmas sweaters. 




I also teasingly showed this one to my nephew and said he should get it. He ended up having his mom buy it for him.


He later DID wear it to school the following Monday (Mom texted this to me after I was home). He was purposely trying to look like a dork.


After Walmart, we went to Starbucks so Brawny and I could try their seasonal Zombie frap-BOO-cino. Yes, it was crap...but I thought it would be fun and thought Brawny might like it.


Yea, such enthusiasm...




BRAINS!!!!


My phone camera was on "Live" mode for some reason while I was trying to get pictures of Brawn in Starbucks. I took the little "live" videos that are made when you take the pictures and put together this experimental video which I call "I, Zombie: Brawn at Starbucks". 



Little poop head. Uncle Shawn tried to hang with him, but...


...all he wanted to do was wear his Monkey head hat over his face all of the way home. Of course, having the $9.99 price tag attached made it more laughable than teen angst-y. Ha!


When we got back to Ron's place, the foundation guys were there working on it.





Ronnie was home and I snapped this quick shot of him as he opened the door and Brawn lurched away into the house --and away from Uncle Shawn and his camera!





After dropping Charla and Brawn off, we went back to Mom's place. Mom later remembered she had wanted to take me to the Oak Harbor Cinemas to go movie poster shopping. I didn't need to go and I didn't have any way to get any posters home anyway...but we went. I got a few posters. I got "THE DARK TOWER", "WAR OF THE PLANET OF THE APES", "IT" and "BLADE RUNNER 2049". I was thrilled with them, especially the BLADE RUNNER poster. But when I got them back to Mom's place, I took a closer work. BLADE RUNNER had a corner ripped off and IT had two corners ripped off. Dang...


On the way home from Oak Harbor (for the last time during daylight hours this trip), I got some shots of San de Fuca, a tiny town (if you can call it that) between Oak Harbor and Coupeville. Here is a market.


A church.


And the rest of the town with Penn Cove in the background.


And then, one last trip down Madrona Way.



Mom also showed me this cool old cottage that is a vacation rental. The cottage is especially unusual in that it sits in Coupeville Park. It's right on the water, too.


That night, Ron and Charla showed up and off we went for some spooky, pre-Halloween fun. The first stop was the Haunted Barn. The Haunted Barn was at Sherman's Farm, which is just around the corner and down the block from my mom's place. It has a large produce stand and they had wall-to-wall pumpkins and other squash for sale. 




And then we entered the Haunted Barn...











Uh...the Haunted Barn was strictly for the kiddies and totally amateur hour. Oh well, it was a fun.




In addition to the Haunted Barn, there was a Haunted Hay Bale Maze, which we opted to venture into as well.










The Hay Bale Maze was awful---because we had to bend over all of the way through it. UGH! It wasn't really a maze, but instead was a big circle. Ronnie gave up on it and left. I made it through but fell once. The kid below was one of the main scare guys from the Haunted Barn...finally in costume but withOUT his mask. Whatever...


Next, we road into Oak Harbor to go to the "Frightville" haunted house at the Roller Barn! Ha! 


I had long wondered what the Roller Barn was like---it sounded so doofy. I never thought I'd ever venture inside. Who knew that once a year the Roller Barn became a haunted attraction?


The Roller Barn is huge. You can't miss it from the road.



The upper floor is where the skating happens. It's also where the end of the line was to get into the haunted house.



There was a policy of no cell phones. They didn't want anyone using the lights from the phones to get around. I asked if I could take pictures with my phone if I didn't use the flash. I was told it was okay. BUT, my pictures came out crappy. Here is what I got...



















The photos turned out awful, but the haunted house was pretty good for what it was (MUCH better than these lousy photos would have you believe). All three of us liked it. There was a group of teenagers behind us and on young man was terrified by this clown, who literally chased him out of the Roller Barn and into the parking lot, where the clown let me take his photo afterwards.


His clown buddy joined him.


And that was it for that day. The next day we'd all meet one last time---and then I'd be heading home.

Stay tuned for the FINAL entry for this trip.

CHEERS!

Comments