Leg update #13-- The Mayo Clinic

When we last left off, my EMG showed I had neuropathy, but not the kind my doctor could treat. I had also asked for a referral to Stanford. That was weeks ago---and there is still no word from Stanford. Hmm.

I asked about for a good chiropractor and was given several names. I was told if I can get a referral from my doctor, my insurance will cover it. I am waiting to approach my doctor about that when I either see him again (in March!) or when I have another need to see him beforehand.

I have been trying to track down my records from my former neurologist, Dr. Wolf. He has returned to Transylvania (Really!) and no one seems to know where his records are. I'm hoping my primary doctor has some information. Since he referred me to Dr. Wolf, it would seem Dr. Wolf would keep my primary doctor updated. I hope to go and request records at my primary next week.

All of this is boring and not very newsworthy. Why am I bothering with an update? Because I do have a bright and shiny beacon of hope before me now. Zowie! I have my fingers and toes crossed about this one.

If you recall, I mentioned that the Mayo Clinic was going to be my Plan B if Stanford couldn't help me. I was going to request a referral.

While I'm waiting for Stanford to come through, I went ahead and started some research on the Mayo Clinic. I was startled when I came across this page and saw that, usually, no referral is necessary. And I could request an appointment. Huh?



It was already after 5 pm, so I opted for the online appointment request---which said they responded in three business days. Three days went by and...nothing. I thought for sure they'd call the Monday after that weekend. I didn't hear a thing. A friend reminded me that there was that recent series on PBS about the Mayo Clinic and probably everyone and their dog who had a problem was seeking help after watching the series. My timing couldn't be worse, I guess. I waited and waited and waited.

Yesterday I was at work and I got a call. We will be written up if our phones are out at work, so I tried to slip into the storage room to see who it was. Hmm. A mystery call from Phoenix, Arizona. I was going to try and take the call, but I missed it. The caller left a message and a number to call back on. It WAS The Mayo Clinic calling finally.

Even though I had just gotten back from my lunch break, I asked to take a second break not long after getting the call (My co-worker Alicia nudged me to call back then instead of waiting to Monday. Thanks Alicia!). I almost never get a second break, so I was thrilled it worked out so I could take that break.

I called and was on hold forever. When I finally got through and explained who I was, I was put on hold for a longer period of time as my call was transferred. The girl I finally spoke to asked me a lot of questions about my insurance, my SSN, name, employer, etc. She then told me I had an appointment on Nov. 19 with Dr. Estephan at 9 in the morning---at the Scottsdale, Arizona branch of the clinic. Zowie! I was advised that since I was coming out of town, I should plan to stay 2 to 5 days there in case they wanted to do testing. I was about 10 minutes late from getting back from that 2nd lunch break but, whoo-hoo, I didn't care. I'm going to the Mayo Clinic!


I didn't realize until I was off of the phone with the girl that the week of the 19th is Thanksgiving week. Amazingly, this was going to be my first Thanksgiving off since I started at the hospital (with the exception of the year I was on leave for my knee surgery). I had days off before and after so I could go somewhere. While any Thanksgiving plans are now dashed, how fortunate I had that time scheduled off already so I could take the appointment and have a few days open for testing as well.

I had told Mom and Erich about the appointment. They BOTH wanted to come with me. At first I was delighted at the idea of Mom coming, as she is a former nurse of 30+ years and has a great medical knowledge I have yet to obtain. Besides, I thought Erich already had Thanksgiving plans. That turned out not to be the case. Then I thought of all of the fun things there were to do around Phoenix (weird touristy things like Mystery Castle, five tiki bars, a Frank Lloyd Wright hotel, etc.). Mom wouldn't be in to them---and Erich would. Sure the trip is primarily to fix my legs---but why not make the most of it and make it into an exciting getaway adventure as well? Medical stuff is boring (even if it is about me). I live it every day at work. I wanted to explore the tiki bars and other fun stuff. So, ultimately, even though I'd love Mom to be there, Erich will be the one going with me.

Travelling around the holidays is always difficult--and expensive. Jinkies, would I be able to book a flight the day before the appointment and another home on Thanksgiving (I figured, since they are a clinic and closed on weekends anyway, they'd surely be closed on Thanksgiving and Black Friday.) Alaska Air usually has good prices, but the trip to Phoenix and back on those dates would have cost more than $1,000 each! GEEZ! I did find a flight for $286 each amazingly. NOT cheap--but not $1000 either. They are no frills tickets. We board last and have no say where our seat is. Hmm.

But whatever---Mayo Clinic here we come!

CHEERS!




To read what happened next, click HERE.

Comments

Mildred Pierce said…
Your Mom just called me - she wants you to know Christmas is CANCELLED. I hope it was worth fobbing your own Mother off!!!!
Monster A Go-Go said…
Dah-ling, I WORK Christmas anyway. And i hear you "fob" just about anyone for a price...or a whim! Why am i not surprised?