How the Grinch Stole my Appetite!


A while back I wrote about my encounter with a green hamburger that was being offered for the Halloween season. (You can read about it HERE.) The other day, a friend of mine wanted to get together for pancakes at IHOP--green ones.What!?



Apparently, to celebrate/promote a new animated version of "How The Grinch Stole Christmas", the restaurant chain has a new menu based on the Grinch story about the grinchy green Grinch who lived high on the mountain over all of the Who's in Who-ville and his plot to steal their Christmas. Of course I am going to go...and of course I am going to take pictures! Ha!



I have known Trin for 30+ years, but I rarely see her due to our varying work schedules. She's a M-F, 9 to 5 kind of gal and I work weekends and assorted weekdays from 7 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Rarely do we have days off together. But, lo and behold...it was Veteran's Day (well, the observed Veteran's Day, any way). We were both off.

IHOP was all kinds of crowded at 11 a.am. on a Monday. We had to wait for a table about 20 minutes. Who knew Veteran's Day was such a popular event at IHOP? Hmm.




We were finally seated and ...they really DID have a special Grinch menu, filled with all sorts of Grinch and Who goodies.

              

Decisions...decisions. While the Who-ville Holiday Cheesecake French Toast looked mighty tempting (but decidedly NOT green), I went with the Grinch's Green Pancakes. I mean, that was the reason we came after all. But...okay, okay...I'll also try the Minty Who Hot Chocolate and...because I had a feeling the pancakes would be overly sweet as well as carb-filled, I opted to also have the Who Roast Beast Omelette (Roast Beast, as you'll recall, is the traditional main dish served at all Who Christmas dinners). Hmm. How would they taste and what would they be like?

The Minty Who Hot Chocolate arrived first. It was topped with green whipped cream and red sprinkles.



The pancakes truly were green and also topped with a cream cheese frosting, red candy sprinkles and green whipped cream. Zowie!



The Who Roast Beast Omelette was interesting, but odd (Odder than green pancakes? Maybe not, but...). In addition to the roast beast 😉, there were hash browns, onions, jalapenos, cheese mixed in and it was topped with barbecue sauce (On eggs? For breakfast? That was the deal breaker for me...)



There was also a lone serrano chili (?!?) served on a plate...that I didn't touch.


If nothing, it made for a colorful and unusual meal.


The hot chocolate really was green. in fact, it looked like some sort of toxic sludge. I found it overly sweet though. It was not my favorite.


The pancakes were another story. Yes, they were really green, but they were actually tasty as well. The cream cheese frosting was sweet, but not unbearably (or maybe it was just less sweet than the chocolate?). They didn't need syrup at all (but I did add some butter pecan syrup towards the end---because I love that syrup and I never have it unless I visit IHOP).

                                       



Trin thought they were grinchy groovy as well.


When we were done, of course the crowd had also disbursed.


The Grinch food had been novel and fun. I'd do the pancakes again maybe, but would pass on the hot chocolate or the omelette. But still, I had a grinchy good time.



CHEERS!


Comments