FLASHBACK: The Great Northwest Road Trip 2016: Part 5

This section was lost. Even my mother hadn't saved it (or maybe she never received it?). My friend Kathleen Bergstrom unearthed this chapter and sent it my way. THANK YOU, Kathleen!
****************************************************************************

To get the nasty taste of the kava out of our mouths (see previous email), we dashed to another tiki bar, Hale Pele, several blocks away. It was a small place and very cooly decorated. Trouble with it was that it was too LOUD and the drinks sucked. (Unlike the quiet and classy and tasty The Alibi). They did have a cool fog effect --very Disney-esque-- happen at one point, though. We stayed awhile--trying several drinks--but came away feeling the place was "just okay".














Here are some better photos of Hale Pele here: https://www.google.com/search?q=the+alibi+portland&espv=2&biw=1680&bih=910&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4hrfT1rjOAhUT-GMKHbAaBkQQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=hale+pele+portland

Here is its official website: http://halepele.com/

And here is its Critiki listing: https://critiki.com/location/hale-pele-portland-815/



  The next day, we started off by breakfasting at The Original Pancake House.  But this was the ORIGINAL one. I'd heard of the chain, but had never been to one before. It was tasty. Ashley had Pigs in a Blanket. Erich and I both had the corned beef hash with eggs and pancakes. He had regular pancakes...I opted for potato pancakes (which were soooo NOT the "cowboy pancakes" my mom used to make when I was a kid).











It was good and I would gladly go back.

Coming up next, the Portland Saturday Market, wine tasting, and exploring Port Townsend before heading to Whidbey Island to visit Mom.

Stay tuned!

Comments