My Coronavirus Diary Part 27


As the death toll continues to climb, experts are saying that there are signs that the infection curve may be finally flattening. With nearly 1,500,000 cases worldwide (432,438 of those here--roughly 1/3 of all the cases in the world), and close to 90,000 deaths (14,808 of those here...1,858 of those deaths occurring just this last Tuesday alone), the models being used to project the number of deaths has shifted---and the numbers are now lower. It's a glimmer of hope in an ocean of horror, death and despair.

Spring and warmer weather are coming. But despite the president's earlier claim that the virus will just disappear with the change of season, scientists say it will be around a long while and we will have to adjust to a "new normal" way of living. Handshakes may be a thing of the past.

Scientists have also discovered that the virus has been invading the heart in some cases, as the organ works to compensate for the lack of oxygen the infected lungs bring in. Another report says that most patients put on ventilators do not survive the virus.


On Island County, where my family lives in Washington, they 155 cases and have had 7 deaths.

Locally, there are now 402 cases here in the Central Valley. We've had 17 deaths. Despite California doing an excellent job of flattening the curve, I expect our numbers to grow as the ripple effect of the contagion moves out from Los Angeles and the Bay Area.




A woman from Irvine, CA who used to live in the Central Valley, contracted the virus. She survived but it was rough. She journaled here entire experience so far as she has battled this thing. She says she was extremely careful yet still ended up getting it somehow.

Local leaders (and I'm sure other areas are having the same worry) are concerned about the upcoming Easter holiday and the prospect of giving the virus a chance to spread further as families and friends gather to celebrate.

The good news for California is that, due to sheltering in place orders occurring earlier than most other states, we could be seeing our virus peak as early as next week. It won't mean that we can return to normal right away, but it means (most) people are doing their part, sheltering in place and social distancing.

Another good news story is that of a Valley Mexican restaurant that has been feeding farm workers, those unsung heroes in this crisis who are keeping food on our tables.

My friend John, who lives in Frazier Park, CA, dropped me a quick email yesterday.

"I'm doing well, surviving," he said. "We had snow today. Just a couple of days ago, I was enjoying the sun outside on my deck in shorts. I may go and do some work tomorrow. It is an outside job. I need to work, because I have no money."

The economic effect of needing to shelter in place is hitting. Ouch. Poor John. He later wrote back and said the job was postponed due to weather. I wish he didn't have to risk working at all, but...

John did send me a link to a video that someone put together. It's M*A*S*H and the coronavirus combined. Take a look:


I love the creativity of those sheltering in place. The M*A*S*H thing was a great example. 

Not that it is put out by creative people stuck at home, but Universal Pictures has a surprise for kids this Easter. Fans of the JURASSIC PARK/WORLD series can download and print a special Easter egg holder in the shape of Blue, the friendly raptor. It should be fun for kids to put together.



Full Moon Entertainment has unleashed a trailer for it's timely (?) horror spoof (that seems to be in very poor taste, but...) called CORONA ZOMBIES. There is a trailer (and it is rather graphic) attached. It looks as if it is some simply edited stuff from TV news, the filmmaker's girlfriend, and re-purposed footage from NIGHT OF THE ZOMBIES (aka HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD) from the early 80s. I guess everyone needs a project while in self quarantine...




My co-worker friend Jerry reported from work. There have been new measures put in place.

"Be glad you're not at work," he said. "It's mandatory to wear an N95 mask now.  It was horrible.  My face was sweaty, itchy and irritated.  On top of that, I was having difficulty breathing 🤬"

In my world, there's not much to tell...except about my rude neighbors. They are the ones who want to put in a new fence, if you'll recall. They woke me up yesterday morning around 7 a.m. They were making a lot of noise in their yard. Whatever...

Later in the day, I happened to look out the living room windows to the street. Apparently we have a community pickup scheduled soon and the neighbors were getting crap ready for the pick up. They  had already put it in the street. However, they put it in front of my house instead of theirs. Typical.


Later in the day, I was watching an episode of MAD MEN. My phone chimed. It wasn't a text. Hmm... It was my little security camera alarm. I took a look and saw this:


Who was that? The woman next door? I looked out my window but did not see anyone. I opened the door and saw an envelope addressed to me. It was another letter from the neighbors about the fence.


I had only just gotten their previous letter the Friday before, I had not even responded yet because I was still trying to mull over how I could possibly make this work or what to say to them. And suddenly, it's happening next week--apparently whether I like it or not.

So I called and told Susan that I got her note, but that I could not possibly afford $1,000. She had me talk to her husband, Chris. He's the (former?) prison guard who is really a bully. I explained to Chris that I had only just gotten their note less than a week ago about possibly doing it in the future...and now it's next week---and I could not afford to do it. I told him I was on disability. He said he was as well. He argued that I could make payments to them. I don't want to do that. He tried to say I got out of paying for a fence the last time in 2002---and I didn't even live in this house then. He cited the Civil Code that said I had to pay for half. I pointed out that the code said I had to pay for half of maintenance...and we could get it repaired. He was saying the repairs would cost just as much, etc. etc. etc.  It was back and forth like that. I told him that I needed time and would get back to him.

Then I wrote them the following letter, which I copied and sent via text (to get a record of having sent it):

Susan and Chris,

I know you want a new fence. I don’t mean to sound unsympathetic to your request. I am sorry, but I can not participate at this time. I am on disability and have numerous health issues. I can not afford this venture.

I am sorry to disappoint you with this, but your original letter arrived last Friday. I had not responded as your note made it sound as if I had several weeks (months?) to figure this out. With the virus mess going on, I certainly did not anticipate getting a note saying you were now planning this Monday.

You cited Civil Code Section 841 in your original letter. Section 2 of that code reads:

(2) Where a landowner intends to incur costs for a fence described in paragraph (1), the landowner shall give 30 days’ prior written notice to each affected adjoining landowner. The notice shall include notification of the presumption of equal responsibility for the reasonable costs of construction, maintenance, or necessary replacement of the fence. The notice shall include a description of the nature of the problem facing the shared fence, the proposed solution for addressing the problem, the estimated construction or maintenance costs involved to address the problem, the proposed cost sharing approach, and the proposed timeline for getting the problem addressed.

I’m not trying to be pushy, but I have not had a 30-day notice in this.

Section 3 Article C reads:

(C) Whether the financial burden to one landowner would impose an undue financial hardship given that party’s financial circumstances as demonstrated by reasonable proof.

Do you want to see my medical bills? I have been partially living on credit cards to get by…and those are killing me as well. I have already told you I have recently had to go on disability for a variety of physical/health reasons. I do not have much money at all. I am already scrambling to make this month’s house payment.

All I can do is offer to get some estimates on fence repairs sometime next week. I’ve already spoken with someone and it does not sound like it will be that expensive at all. I will get at least three estimates, but due to the current situation with the viral outbreak, this may take some time. So, please do not take the fence down. Let me get it looked at first. We can go from there.

If repairs are more cost efficient, (and I feel they will be), I’ll have to go that route. My health is not good. Perhaps at some point, maybe the future owners of this home will be up to splitting the costs with you for a totally new fence. I am sorry, but at this point I am unable to do so.

Thank you.

*****

I know this petty squabble doesn't seem to belong here. But this diary is MY diary of not only the events going on in the world ravaged by the virus, it is also what is going on in my life (and the lives of my friends) at this time. As sucky as it seems, I get to be a harassed by my neighbor who, once again, wants his bullish way.

Fun times.

Stay SAFE. Stay SHELTERED. Stay ALIVE.


CHEERS!




Continue to the next part HERE.

Comments

Shawn, you do not pay the people anything. They are bullying you and they are in the wrong. If they want a new fence and arrange it without contacting you ahead of time, listening to your side of the issue, they can pay for the whole thing. Now, I'm not a lawyer, but I strongly suggest to please contact a lawyer, before doing anything else.
Mikey said…
Has there been a survey to see exactly where the fence is? Is it on your property, their property, or right on the property line? I would definately talk to a lawyer before I gave them any money. It would seem that they should maybe get a few estimates before they try to bully you into giving them money.
Monster A Go-Go said…
Hi Christa,

I have not contacted a lawyer. I can't afford one of those either. I'm just not going to pay for it. They can sue me if they want to. My text to them is documentation of my thoughts and wishes. They didn't consult me...just informed me that they had decided to do and they had it all arranged. I'm not gonna do anything else---except get estimates on repairs, as I stated I would. But thanks for your concern.
Monster A Go-Go said…
Mikey,

Yes, the fence is on the property line. In California, housing developments put fences up on the property lines. No surveying needed. And they DID show me 4 estimates---with the note they sent me last Friday. But I was not involved in the process at all. They want the new fence--on all 4 sides plus a little fence on the side (I've seen their plans on one of the estimates). It is all about them. If they want to get a lawyer, let them. But thanks for your concern and visit. Cheers!
Miss Medina said…
You have replied to them with what you're able to do regarding the fence. It seems that they have ignored your request. Don't pay for it.
Monster A Go-Go said…
I have not heard back from them yet. I'm sure I will. I talk more about the fence in tomorrow diary. They are not nice people. Thanks for visiting. CHEERS.