My Coronavirus Diary Part 31


The virus continues to infect more people. There are now 1,850,966 confirmed cases of the virus worldwide (114,269 deaths) and 557,590 cases here in the USA (with 22,109 deaths).



The John Hopkins University Coronavirus Map recently added a new section that shows the number of people who have been tested so far in this country.



Scientists are now thinking that the virus spreads twice as fast as previously reported. This may explain how quickly the virus seems to spread through nursing homes and how cases mushroomed after events like Mardi Gras. Another shocking report states that the coronavirus can spread up to 13 feet and can travel on shoes (so you may want to consider changing them before coming inside). Amazingly there are still states that are not on lockdown.


New York City has had a small reprieve. While they are still getting far more patients in need of ventilators than they would normally see, the number has dropped significantly---from 200 or 300 down to about 70 per day. However, another report said that in New York City, 80% of COVID 19 patients that are placed on ventilators die and doctors want to stop using them. Although it doesn't say, I wonder if the ventilator mortality rate is enhanced by the sheer number of patients and the lack of staff to monitor them properly.

Meanwhile some idiot is trying to get Dr. Anthony Fauci fired, or at least put him in President Trump's sights. Dr. Fauci has been the voice of science and reason through this whole thing. What angered the Twitter twerp was Dr. Fauci's appearance on CNN where he conceded that had we shut down the country earlier more lives may have been saved.

The first wave of stimulus checks are on their way. The IRS will provide a way to track yours on April 17.

I heard from my friend Art in Boston. He sent me this note:

"We're unfortunately still surging here in Massachusetts," he said. "I'm honestly freaked out to go outside or to the supermarket. I started to go yesterday, but turned around. Maybe I will manage to get down to my high school weight after all -- my recent, unrealistic goal."

Art also included a link to an article about how a former Kmart building in Somerville (north of Cambridge) has been turned into a facility to decontaminate 80,000 N95 masks daily, so they can be re-used.

My friend Kevin in Massachusetts sent me an email link to an article about the toilet paper shortage. My mom sent me a new article about the United Nations' concerns over the possibility of the food supply chain breaking down due to the virus outbreak.

I hadn't heard from my friend Scott Nicholson, the author, for a while, so I checked in with him. He sent a note back.

"We've been mostly locked down--one trip to grocery store a week, one to the local food hub, one to pharmacy, one to vet," he said. "All curbside pickups. We wear our masks and gloves. We're planning to stay locked down until the end of June, at least. We are on a county border and have eight cases in one and three in the other, so not too bad here.

"Planting in the garden despite the cold weather. We're expecting another freeze next week. Trout season started, so I went fishing alone one day. We have a couple of chickens and get fresh eggs every day. I am working slowly on a new book. My wife does online counseling, so this is so much easier for us than it is many people. We're fortunate.

"I can't see going into a crowd or eating at a restaurant any time this year, and seeing videos of people opening bottles and drinking from them in stores, licking produce, and handling everything, I don't really want to go into grocery stores again, either."

My friend Andrey in Italy sent me a brief note.

"Here, for the moment, we are still in quarantine," he said. "My family (in Romania) is okay. The food stores and pharmacy are open. Don't worry. I am okay."

My friend Mauro, also from Italy, sent Easter greetings from he and his family.

I also had a note from my friend Rosa, in London.

"All is well," she said. "I think I'm getting used to being at home. If you think about it, it is not that hard. We all have FaceTime, Skype and all sorts on digital tools. So, I'm looking at this experience in an optimistic way. But of course, I worry about frontline workers, like nurses or those who have to deliver food to people self-isolating. One thing this does is put things in the right order. A nurse, the delivery driver, the team picking up the rubbish from our streets, surely they are more important than bankers and Facebook CEOs."

During this time, it is difficult to remember that charitable organizations are also suffering. While millions are unemployed, one way to give to a few charities (without costing you any money) is through a simple click on the computer screen. The Animal Rescue Site/The Greater Good features 10 charitable organizations you can click on, which entitles the respective charities to gain funding. You can click through all 10 up to four times (every 6 hours) daily through this crisis---and it doesn't cost you a cent.

My friend Sara is a teacher in Fresno, CA. Our local PBS station has started a program where educators read books. The goal is to have stories for school-aged children to listen to in lieu of being in a classroom. Sara appeared in an episode which you can view HERE. She is the second reader.

My friend Nedra in Los Angeles, sent me photos of her Easter for one. She made the most of it. She celebrated with chocolate and champagne and treated herself to a pork chop dinner.



Shirley the tortoise had herself a big Easter feast. Afterwards, she walked up into the bushes and proceeded to pass out with her legs sprawled out behind her. Ha!



Locally, the virus is slowly growing. There are 536 cases here in the Central Valley, and we've had 22 deaths. Those numbers will surely climb as people still are not taking this as seriously as they should. There was an article yesterday about a large house party in Bakersfield where 6 people were shot. I'm sure it isn't the only large party that's been going on since the Shelter In place law went into effect.


I just took it easy today. I didn't have any elaborate dinner plans (simple tacos, if you must know) or lofty projects to do today. Aside from prepping this blog entry, I mostly watched a bunch of stupid movies. O' the joy. But that was enjoyable for me. (Well, PETER ROTTENTAIL was pretty rotten... At least it was seasonal. Oh well...)


I hope your Easter was swell---as swell as could be under the circumstances.

Stay SAFE. Stay SHELTERED. Stay ALIVE.


CHEERS!



Continue to the next part HERE.

Comments