My Coronavirus Diary Part 35



More than 32,000 people have died in the US. There have been more than 142,000 deaths world wide. New York alone has had nearly 11,500 deaths, just 2,000 less than all of the United Kingdom (11,477). The patients going to the New York City hospitals are reportedly "sicker than ever." New York is holding back on re-opening until May 15. The UK is also waiting until early May.  Yet President Trump continues his push to re-open the country and re-open the economy. But governors of many states are saying that unless they get more testing done, they will not reopen. Even Teamsters president James Hoffa cautions President Trump about re-opening unless safety of workers can be insured.

Trump supporters in Michigan protested the stay-at-home orders from the governor. The state has had an alarming growth in the number of confirmed cases. There are 29,263 cases in the state, which is the fourth highest number of infected of any state in the nation, with nearly 2,100 deaths. And they are protesting this action that can stop the spread of the virus? Crazy. (But then, they are Trump supporters....)

As a woman on Twitter posted about overhearing a nurse in a hospital say that she had lost 4 co-workers to the virus within a 48 hour period; "If you don't see it, you don't know how bad it is."





The World Health Organization warns that drinking alcohol could lead to being more susceptible to getting the coronavirus.

Research on vaccines progresses. One researcher for the National Institutes of Health said there may be a vaccine ready for "emergency use" for healthcare workers as early as this fall, with a vaccine for the general population ready to roll out by next spring. Another company has had very good results in a trial for a new drug to treat patients with severe COVID 19.

My friend Kevin in Massachusetts sent an article on psychological issues that can crop up during these days of sheltering in place.

One local company is switching gears to churn out P.P.E. Bravo!


My friend Sara asked me about my friend in Colombia who I thought had possibly had COVID 19, but had not been diagnosed or tested. Angel did get very sick. I sent him a long note yesterday that I translated to Spanish with Google translate. I don't know how well the translation went, but he sent me this quick video reply:


He didn't say much, but did give me a thumbs up. I guess that means he is okay.

My other Colombian friend, Walter, also sent me a note. His English is poor and basic. This is what he said:

"Hello friend," he said. "I'm fine. The stores are open. I couldn't work until Sunday. I think that my family will work. Everything is fine and how can you shop?"

My friend Mikey in Iowa checked in. Aside from some belated birthday wishes, he also gave me an update.

"The one case of Corona we had in our county got better and there have been no more cases yet in our county," he said. "I'm still a bit nervous when going out for groceries, though. Some are wearing masks when they are out, but most are not. I wonder if the Easter services will make the cases spike?  There have been 'defiant' churches having their Easter services at the church."

My friend Linda in Castro Valley, CA also sent belated birthday greetings and shared this story:

"It's an interesting time to have a birthday or any other celebration," she said. "A Mormon friend of mine, who happens to  live in Clovis, had her birthday last week. She has a pretty large family there and they drove past her house honking and singing 'Happy Birthday.' They chatted with her at a distance too, mostly from their cars. And that’s about as good as it gets these days."

My friends Robin and Skye called from Oregon to wish me a happy birthday. Robin told me about her friend who has COVID 19. It's a mild case. The friend just thought her allergies were acting up. She had no idea she had the virus until she spoke with her doctor. Now she is worried about giving it to her immuno-compromised husband who has been battling cancer.

This article explains how some cases of the virus are extreme while others, like Robin's friend, may not even realize they are sick.

My legs continue to be the same. I have an appointment with my primary doctor on Wednesday. Hopefully I can persuade him to get some more testing done while I wait for my muscle biopsy.

I am having trouble getting my disability paperwork done correctly. The doctor's office submitted it to my workplace yesterday, but even though it showed that I have been to a neurologist and have been seen several times, it says my reason for disability is vulnerability to COVID 19...nothing about my leg/muscle weakness. I can understand the confusion as apparently there are a lot of people wanting out for that reason. I'm sure I am at risk for the virus, but I am out for my muscle issues--NOT for fear of the virus.



Several people have asked me about the fence situation. I totally forgot to mention it these last few days (trying to block it from my mind, I guess...). As you'll recall, I was given notice that a new fence was needed and several estimates for plans my neighbors had already drawn up (without any input or consultation with me). They wanted $1,000 for my part of it. Before I could respond, I was told (less than a week after getting the first notice) that the project was happening the following Monday. I told them there was no way I could participate. I asked them not to tear the fence down as I wanted to see about getting it repaired instead of getting a whole new fence. I never gave permission for it to be torn down or for anyone to come into my backyard. However, on Monday morning, it was down. New metal fence posts were put in the ground that afternoon. On Tuesday, the workers returned to finish the fence (at least on my side).

Here is the neighbor, clearly walking over into my yard. I have no idea what he is doing--but hello? He had no business being back there.


I have video of several workers (like the guy below) in my yard...without permission. (At least one guy bothered to wear a mask...)


I don't really care about any of it (but the whole experience had my blood pressure crazy high for several days). What bothered me was the audacity of those people to just do all of this withOUT consulting me or my blessing. The fence on my side of their property is done---and it's huge. It's 8 feet high. I didn't even know such a height was legal for a fence. Whatever. They can hide themselves away from me as much as they like. The less I see of them, the better.



Stay SAFE. Stay SHELTERED. Stay ALIVE.


CHEERS!





Continue to the next part HERE.

Comments