My Coronavirus Diary Part 38



We are quickly approaching 2.5 million confirmed cases of the coronavirus worldwide. There have been nearly 170,000 deaths, more than 41,000 of those deaths here in the USA. (Only one month ago we just had 220 deaths...)

This is a horrible virus. While it has been known to attack the lungs. As I said yesterday, many have needed dialysis afterwards as it messes with your kidneys. My friend Nedra had already reported that she had a friend who survived with kidney damage. A woman on Twitter noted that her son's 25-year old friend was on a ventilator, went home, got sick from kidney failure and was re-hospitalized...and then his heart stopped. My mom sent me a link to a story about a Broadway star who has COVID 19. He developed clotting issues in his right leg. Blood thinners were used, but this resulted in internal bleeding and so his leg was amputated. In addition to death, this virus causes lots of destruction.

A new symptom of the infection has come to light. In addition to fevers, cough, or the loss of taste or smell, about twenty percent of patients have had some sort of rash associated with the infection. A renowned infectious disease doctor recently recovered from the virus and discussed his experiences in an interview with NBC. A woman, who also had it along with her husband, shared her experiences online.

Controversy surrounds the makeshift hospital set up in Central Park to help New York City battle the conronavirus. The man (Franklyn Graham) behind the organization (Samariotan's Purse) running the hospital requires all staff members to sign anti-gay marriage and anti-abortion statements. Graham is also said to be heavily anti-Islam.



A few days ago, protesters in Minnesota and Michigan were out complaining about shelter-in-place laws. President Trump tweeted "LIBERATE Minnesota" and "LIBERATE Michigan." Those states have only seen rising numbers of cases and death tolls. Minnesota added 143 more cases on Sunday. Michigan added 633 cases yesterday as well.

The numbers are rising seemingly everywhere. Pennsylvania had 1,200 new cases on Sunday. Wisconsin's numbers are rising. Tennessee has more than 7,000 cases. Florida has more than 26,000 cases.South Dakota, the state the governor refuses to close down, has also seen an increase in cases.

Instagram developers have come up with a way to track the spread of the virus. The virus is sweeping across the country. Smaller states are just now starting to feel the pain.




Busch Beer is offering a year of free beer to couples whose wedding plans were ruined by the outbreak.

CNN published a list (with links) of digital libraries that you can safely visit from your couch.

TikTok videos have become a way for families to bond while under shelter in place orders.


My friend Sue Nan in Southern CA sent me a quick note recently.

"We’re faring well," she said. "The hardest part has been the food. We eat a lot of fresh veggies, salads, green drinks, etc. so that has been the most difficult. I think people are going to be re-thinking gardens (in fact there was a big article on just that in the LA Times this week), like Victory gardens during WWII.

"I’m really pissed that our mayor closed the state parks. Huh? You can go into stores with a mask but not in a park where we see very few people on the trail? So that has really curbed the exercise department. We walk the streets now, which has cars and more people. Go figure!

"Dina’s photography friend finally broke his fever. They gave him prescription Tylenol (which I had to look up). It's 500 mg instead of over the counter 325 mg. That seemed to do the trick.

"The duck pair are still coming about three times a day. Breakfast, lunch, dinner? Who knew. Now we’ve added a pair of Canadian geese who thankfully are just grazing on the front lawn. Duck poop and goose poop on the deck gets to be too much."

My friend Christa in Santa Monica left me a comment on yesterday's blog post I thought I'd share:

"I'm so grateful I can work from home," she said. "I go for my daily walk and occasional grocery shopping -- but order mostly online. I actually enjoy the more quiet times, the empty streets--you can hear birds sing all over. When I meet someone on my walk, we step aside to honor physical distancing, say hello through our masks and smile. At least in my neighborhood, people have been very friendly and considerate.

"This morning, I indulged in a mocha latte from Peet's (order ahead) and tonight I'm going to soak some beans. Simple things, simple pleasures. I'm grateful to be alive and well."

Christa also sent a photo of herself as a virus ninja with the caption "Death to the Virus."




This morning, I've got to go to a doctor's appointment. It's just my usual bloodletting. They take 500 mls of blood at a time, because I have too much hemoglobin (polycythemia) and a chromosomal problem that causes me to retain too much iron (hemochromatosis). The facility, C-CARE, sent me a notice telling me a face mask is required before I can come in. Normally I'd dread going to the doctor's office. Today, I am kind of looking forward to it. Why? I desperately need a shower. My last one was Wednesday.

I stink.

Badly.


Stay SAFE. Stay SHELTERED. Stay ALIVE. (And maybe stay down wind, until I get myself bathed...)  😄



Cheers!



Continue to the next part HERE.

Comments

Stay safe Shawn and good luck at the doctor's!
Monster A Go-Go said…
Thank you, Ms Virus Ninja!

I'll share the tale tomorrow.

CHEERS!