My Coronavirus Diary Part 41



Apparently the first coronavirus death was not the one near Seattle on February 29th, as originally thought. Instead, autopsy results show it was an undiagnosed (at the time) case in Santa Clara, CA in early February. That means the virus had been spreading longer than we knew.

The coronavirus keeps surprising researchers. Yesterday it was revealed that virus sufferers in their 30s and 40 seem to be having strokes as a result of the virus. A 5-year-old contracted the virus and died. USA Today made a list of some other things about the virus you may have missed or didn't know.

Last week, zoo lions were reported to have contracted COVID 19 from their keeper. Yesterday it was announced that a pair of pet housecats in New York have also gotten the virus.

There are now 850,000 cases here with 47,000 dead. Yet, protests still go on. This shot from a news broadcast in Tennessee featured one unbelievable sign that got some attention on Twitter:


A woman in Vietnam had a very pointed argument for continuing to shelter in place:


Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina and Texas are making ready to reopen for business. In a stunner, the president says he disagrees with the governor of Georgia's plan for an aggressive return to normal.   The mayor of Las Vegas, who is pushing to re-open the city, gave a bizarre-o interview on CNN in which she equated COVID19 with the West Nile Virus among other things.  The President and the White House still thinks the virus is going to dissipate by summer. Already the CDC is warning about a resurgence of the coronavirus and the flu this coming autumn.

The University of Louisville thinks they have come up with technology that could stop the virus from binding and hijacking cells within the body. Meanwhile, a new test of saliva may be more accurate than a nasal swab. Three dozen New York City hospitals are hoping that the experimental use of plasma antibody therapy will help patients there.

State and local governments are concerned about a wave of layoffs and funding shortfalls as a result of federal aid going elsewhere.

And a group of nurses protested in front of the White House recently, demanding PPE. If they're going to be dealing with idiots avoiding sheltering in place orders, these nurses are going to need it.



Horror movie fans may appreciate this send up of a well-known horror classic I came across online today. Producer Jason Blum of Blumhouse (the company that co-produced the recent HALLOWEEN sequel) cleverly created this:


Speaking of horror, HEX Studios is having a contest for a 1-minute horror movie. There is a mystery prize and all entries will be shown in an online festival.

My friend Sue sent me this clever meme:



Speaking of quarantine creativity. my friends Erich, Christa and Vye all sent me this video yesterday individually, not realizing the others had sent it as well. Ha!




Today I went to my primary doctor's office. I was there about my leg and arm weakness, of course. It is getting so bad. I'm on a medical leave from work, but nothing much has been done yet, and my leave ends in just two weeks. I wanted to push the issue and get help.

I was nervous going out into the world, especially to a doctor's office. But it needed to be done. There were signs outside of the door, asking those with flu-like symptoms not to enter. Inside, the waiting room had far fewer chairs and those left were spaced further apart.



Of the nine patients who came and left the waiting room while I was there, only three (including myself) had on masks. Only one of the people who worked in the reception area of the office (I counted at least three or four there) was wearing a mask, but she had it pulled down below her mouth.

The doctor was wearing a mask when he walked in, but he pulled it off as he sat down to talk to me. I was stunned.

As far as my problem goes, I am being referred to the Movement Disorder Center at Stanford. Let's see how long that takes, especially since nothing will happen while the virus is still around.

We talked about other things; possibly extending my medical leave, possibly going on disability permanently, and the possibility of seeing a psychiatrist to deal with these changes. In addition, I was given a form to officially get myself disability license plates and a handicap placard. The official reason the doctor put on the form is "muscular dystrophy." Muscular dystrophy has not been proven, but it may be looking like that is what it is. Swell.



Later that afternoon, I was already feeling down about my possible diagnosis and what it all may mean as far as working, paying bills, having any sort of a life, etc., when I got a call from my friend Nedra in Los Angeles. As down as I was, I was devastated by what she told me.

Nedra told me that her mother, who is in a nursing home, had just tested positive for COVID 19. She isn't showing any symptoms (yet), but someone who works at the home had recently tested positive for the virus. Nedra also told me that earlier in the day, she had gotten herself tested. She had been experiencing chills, fever, sore throat and a cough. She won't get her results until Friday or Monday. 

I was utterly stunned. I felt like I had been kicked in the guts. Nedra was good natured about it all. She says she thinks she just has the flu or a bad cold. If it turns out to be COVID 19, she jokingly said she hopes she loses 20 pounds, so she can get down to her ideal weight.

Nedra was being far braver than I. I was trying desperately to hold back, but I was on the verge of crying my eyes out. Nedra realized this and let me go. 

Oh god, oh god, oh god... Not Nedra. Not her mom. Oh god. This is just horrible. 

Stay SAFE! Stay SHELTERED. Stay ALIVE.


CHEERS.




Continue to the next part HERE.

Comments

Oh, no. The news about Nedra and her mother is just terrible. So sorry to hear about that.
Monster A Go-Go said…
Yes, I am very worried. I'll post when I know more. Thank you...