My Coronavirus Diary Part 51




The U.S. had its deadliest day on Friday as the virus claimed nearly 3,000 lives. There are more than 66,000 dead here---far more than second place Italy, which has 28,700 dead. (There have been 244,000 deaths worldwide.) For the month of April, there was one death by coronavirus every 44 seconds.

Georgia's death toll has reached 1,174 and the state has more than 28,300 cases. Alabama now has more than 7,300 cases. Michigan has more than 43,000 cases with more than 4,000 deaths.

Wyoming only has 429 confirmed cases and has had 7 deaths. But of those 7 who died, three of them were from the same family.

More than 16,000 deaths have occurred in US nursing homes. And even those deaths are not being fully reported, one article says.

Hundreds of Californians protested the state capitol on Friday, with many people being arrested.



Even Maine, which has been fairly spared so far, has seen protests over the stay at home orders. One (idiot) interviewed even parroted the president's "The cure can't be worse than the problem" line.

A lawyer in Florida has gone out dressed as the Grim Reaper to protest the state opening up beaches.

The Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds did a spectacular flyover over the National Mall yesterday to honor those on the frontline. People came out to see it--prompting at least one observer who noticed the lack of social distancing occurring, that it may not have been the best idea to do.



Former president George Bush got vocal in the clash between democratic governors and the Republican president and Senate, reminding people that the fight against the virus should not be partisan.

Oregon has extended its stay at home orders through July 6th.

My friend Christa sent me an article detailing the fact that healthcare workers are being furloughed during this pandemic. "What the hell," she asked. "This doesn't make any sense."

Worried about the virus hanging out on your clothes? This article may dispel some of the worry.





The surviving members of the band Queen and Adam Lambert have redone the song WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS and dedicated it to frontline workers during this pandemic. The song was recorded as a fundraiser for the COVID 19 Solidarity Response Fund for the World Health Organization. Donations and more information can be found HERE. The song and video are below:






My friend Mikey sent me a follow-up note.

"It looks like I spoke too soon," he said.  "There are now two total cases in our county.   

"Walmart was packed when we went there for the tire repair and groceries. I was in such a hurry, I almost rammed into someone's cart. They have the 'one way shopping' thingy going on with the arrow stickers on the floor, but everyone was ignoring them. All the Walmart employees are required to wear the masks when they are at work.

"I entered through the Auto Care Center so I could drop off my tire to be fixed while we shopped. That entrance is also the only entrance the employees can use when they arrive at work for their shift. The Auto Care Center looked more like a storage place. Since they aren't doing anything more than the occasional tire repair/replacement, they only had one clear bay.  The others were used to assemble bikes and barbecue grills. I guess it keeps the auto techs busy.

"When I was paying for the tire, an employee arrived for his shift. There is a station next to the register back there for them to 'check in'.  The process is,  they wait at this table for the manager to take their temperature with this laser thing. If it reads normal, then the manager reads off this memo that says something like, 'Do you feel ill? Do you think you are too sick to work? Have you been coughing or having trouble breathing?  etc.'  If the employee responds 'no' to the questions, then he/she is free to proceed to the time clock. 

"So far so good here. Since we don't go out much anyway, it's not too difficult to stay home. We get outside every day for walks with the dogs and to feed the chickens and goats."

My friend Sarah also sent a follow up email, detailing her life as teacher in the age of the virus.

"I am still teaching," she said. "I currently meet with my kiddos virtually twice weekly, then conduct mini-virtual lessons with students individually as needed. On class meeting days, I go over the assignments, ask higher level questions regarding our novel study, then we play games.  I'm most concerned about their personal and mental well-being, as compared to they're their academics.  Don't get me wrong. Of course I want them to learn, but more importantly I want to know that they're safe, healthy, and as happy as can be during this crazy time. As teachers, we can always catch them up on content, but social-emotional needs have always been my top priority (even when we were altogether at school).

"I miss my kids (students) like crazy. Even though I am proud of the distance learning lessons that I've created and the new tech stuff I've learned, I know it's not the same as being in the classroom. It doesn't even come close. I agree with the school district and our amazing governor that we should continue to shelter in place.  God forbid that we open the schools too early and create a super spreader situation.  This hits close to home for me, as my household is multi-generational. My parents live with us, and they aren't in the best health.  Plus, you know, my daughter tends to have severe asthma flare-ups when she gets a common cold or RSV.  I'm terrified she will get COVID-19.

"But, you what I miss most of all?  Hugs!  I miss giving them.  I am a hugger.  It really hit me hard when we had the parade for Payton.  Luckily, I can still hug my own children. But one of my biggest fears is that I see one of my (current or former) students in public and they run to hug me, and I have to ask them to keep their distance.

"Currently, I met with my is class time weekly with the district-provided software because I'm afraid to use Zoom due to all the horror stories that you hear about it. Unfortunately, the programs only show four faces at one time. So I can't see all of students' faces. Also, they're fifth graders, so they don't show their faces anyway. I wish they would.  I want to see them."


My friend Mark is an emergency room nurse up in Sonora, California. He also sent an email recently.

"Tuolumne County continues to be one of the few counties hardly hit by this pandemic," he says. "We have, like four cases and they got it when travelling outside the county. It's been eerily strange. Of course, the ED (Emergency Department) is a challenge with constantly changing in and out of PPE and now wearing N95 masks for 12 hours. UGH.

"Our son Jeremy is actually loving life right now as he got  pinned in on an island off Indonesia called Lombok.  He's been getting his scuba diving certs and just got his deep sea cert the other day.  He is scuba diving at a resort and creating artificial coral reefs and getting data about fish populations. He is living in a nice hut and all his meals are prepared for him with only a $250 a week charge for room, board, meals etc. It's a nice gig. He just told us he'll stay another couple of weeks and then travel around the island for a couple more weeks.

"We've been doing online church services for quite sometime now. Being the largest church in the county, it's been challenging to update our technology and reach as many as we can. It's been slow but productive.

"My sister and her family up in Washington are holding there own. They just had to cancel her in-laws big 60th anniversary party for July. Such is life."

Art in Boston also sent a note:

"That was great information provided by your friend, Cathy," he said. "The 80% alcohol sanitizer to spray on door knobs and the bottom of shoes sounds great. I managed to find one can of the Walmart Great Value equivalent of Lysol Spray for my carpeted entry hall and the bottom of my shoes. We're not allowed to leave shoes and belongings in the hallway in front of our units. I'm guessing Cathy found that 80% alcohol sanitizer at Home Depot. She mentioned Office Depot, too, so I wasn't sure.

"We have a store here that's based out of Rhode Island. It's called Ocean State Job Lots and I scored a huge box of nitrile gloves and 70% alcohol hand sanitizer. It's not Purell, but seems okay -- provided it works.

"A friend of my mom's is a former professional seamstress and made me five cloth face masks. I encouraged her to try and sell them on Etsy.

"I also went to the supermarket yesterday. Three different ones, in fact. All three were mostly out of everything. It's so frustrating."

Art also included a link about how things are going in Massachusetts and the mandatory mask order there.

Kim, my CNA friend in Wisconsin, is in quarantine for a possible exposure to COVID 19 from a patient they suspect has it. She sent this quick note:

"So far, I am okay," she said. "I have no symptoms yet. I am just praying they get the patient's test results today."


Shirley was outside all day, but decided to come in for the evening early yesterday. by 4:15, she was done. She came inside and went straight to her cardboard condo to shelter in place until later this morning.



The other day, I made a ketogenic brownie mix. While it may have been low in carbs, with any keto chocolate anything, you've got to be careful. If you eat too much, you'll find yourself running to the bathroom way too often. I ate on the brownie for several days. Yesterday morning, I finished it off, covered with strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries. It was tasty. But then, yep...it was poop-a-rama time all afternoon. Charming. Ugh.

Later today, I'm having a Zoom call with friends Ashley and Sai (in Oakland, CA). Our friends Ricki (Oregon) and Erich (San Leandro) will join us. I'm looking forward to that.

Also this afternoon, I am off to pick up my pre-ordered groceries. This is my 2nd time trying this, so we will see how this goes.

On Monday, I have to get some blood drawn for more medical tests as well as run a few other errands.

But that's kind of about it.

I've done 50 of these coronavirus diary entries so far. I'll do one tomorrow and one the next day to share how these small events go. But after that, I am thinking of taking a few days off. I get nothing else done, it seems. I spend all day on the computer looking for articles and putting these diary entries together...and I have so many other things I could/should be doing.

Everyone needs a break. Right?

Stay SAFE. Stay SHELTERED. Stay ALIVE.


CHEERS!





Continue to the next part HERE.

Comments