I’m Freaky for Tiki #15: Tiki on the South Central Coast - High Roller Tiki Lounge, Test Pilot, Ventiki

Several months ago, I discussed all things tiki (what little there is) along the Central Coast (Read it HERE). It's time to return to the Central Coast---but this time the lower portion, in that mysterious area south of Pismo Beach, yet north of Los Angeles--the South Central Coast. While the Central Coast in general may not have much going on, the South Central Coast has a lot more happening than you'd think. So, pull up a bar stool and let's take a look.

HIGH ROLLER TIKI LOUNGE:


When is a tiki bar not a tiki bar? When it is a wine bar disguised as a tiki bar. Such is the case with High Roller Tiki Lounge. But do NOT let that stop you. Right in the heart of Solvang, California (Yes, the tourist town that plays like it is a long-lost city of Denmark's), tucked away in the back of the Sort This Out Cellars tasting room, is a little tiki bar known as the High Roller Tiki Lounge.


The place is tiny. There is seating for maybe 20 or so people maximum. But for a small space, it it wonderfully decked out. And on a slower day, when it's just you in the bar, you really do feel as if you are in some little beach bar on some tropical island.

 

Cocktails are the most important component of any tiki bar. Here, yes they are all wine based, but they really have done a remarkable job without using rum, gin, or any other spirits.


A drink that was recently added to the menu (NOT shown above) is the Tiki Bandit. Inspired by a cocktail at Frankie's Tiki Bar in Las Vegas and actually served in the same signature slot machine-like mugs that Frankie's uses, this drink was a winner with me. The Solvang Siren's appeal to me was the use of lychee syrup (and a lychee garnish). It was served in a High Roller signature mug that, unfortunately, you can not keep---but you can buy for $30. 

The Tiki Bandit 
Solvang Siren


The house specialty drink is "This Drink Will Get You Lei'd"...and it did. Ha!

This Drink Will Get You Lei'd
 As much as I dug the place, in all honesty, by the 2nd or third drink I was really missing the rum and other booze. With wine, you get tipsy...with booze you get a buzz, a different buzz. Not that I needed to get drunk--I didn't--but the mouth knows it's not having a "real" cocktail. Ya know? Still, you don't have to worry about "mixing" when they're all wine-based drinks. Don't get me wrong. I loved the place and I'll be back if I'm ever down that way again.

A panoramic view of the entire bar from the doorway.
The next time you find yourself trapped in Solvang, instead of hunting down aebleskiver or looking for a traditional Danish outfit (!?!), do yourself a favor and head on over to the High Roller. The drinks may be glorified wine coolers, but they are wine coolers served in a tiny slice of paradise.

(For more specific details of my experience at High Roller Tiki Lounge, click HERE.)


High Roller Tiki Lounge
1636 Copenhagen Dr.
Solvang, CA 93463
805-688-1717
Website: https://www.sortthisoutcellars.com/category_s/111.htm
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighRollerTiki/
Critiki: https://www.critiki.com/location/high-roller-tiki-lounge-solvang-949/


TEST PILOT:

There is a lot to be said about first impressions. Having the right people at any establishment can really make or break that impression. Case in point was the way I was greeted and made to feel at home the first time I visited Tiki-Ko in Bakersfield (Click HERE to read about it). Benny the bartender had been marvelous that time. A subsequent visit, while still good, was not the same (Benny was nowhere in sight. Instead, there were two other stranger bartenders who were very busy).

Test Pilot looked to be doomed in my estimation even before we arrived. I had seen photos of the place and it didn't look all that tiki. In fact, I almost skipped it altogether. I'm glad I didn't.


It was a Monday afternoon. We arrived right at opening and two employees were still hauling in provisions for the evening. I asked if they were open and one of them, the guy who turned out to be our bartender for the afternoon, assured us they were open and ushered us in.

Holden, the bartender, was fantastic. He was the consummate host. This handsome, young man was a great conversationalist. He knew his drinks and he was developing a passion for tiki. Holden made us feel right at home, even offering us small samples of the "Boozy Slushies". Holden single-handedly elevated what I expected to be a mediocre time into a top-notch experience. He really was that engaging and friendly. He even pointed us in the right direction for an amazing dining experience. He was just incredible.

 

The interior was definitely "tiki lite." It was almost more nautical than tiki, but even then it was sparse on the atmosphere. However, the friend I was with (not a big tikiphile, but he is learning) actually found the interior refreshing. He found it very modern and clean; "tasteful tiki," he called it. In talking with Holden, though, I got a sense that the younger crowd, the bar's core customers, really have no idea what "tiki" or a "tiki bar" is. So, to keep them from being scared away, the owners have kept the inside toned down and free of the usual tiki kitsch.


 








And the drinks? While the debate about the interior may be a toss up, there is one thing you can be sure of. The drinks at Test Pilot are spot on perfect.


I started off with a Hotel Nacional Special, which Holden had recommended highly...and I can see why. It was smooth and so flavorful. Mmm.



I followed that with The Buccaneer which was served inside of a fresh coconut. That was tasty and fun...and I loved the little pirate flag that came with it. Ahoy, matey. Ha!


For my third and final cocktail, I opted for the house's signature cocktail, the Test Pilot. The drink was good, but what blew me away was the side of cream it came with. Holden concocted it right on the spot and it was made with absinthe. No way. It was simply amazing.


Erich, my friend, started off with a Fogcutter. He later moved on to the (Definitely Not A) Painkiller (after tasting the delicious sample Holden had given us) and then a cleverly named Oaxacan Dead. I didn't get photos of the last two, but they looked and tasted amazing.


Ultimately, Test Pilot got a big thumbs up. True, the decor left a lot to be desired (in my estimation) and they didn't have any signature mugs for sale (waaaagh!), but the great drinks and the excellent service really made for a wonderful experience. If given the chance, I will definitely be back.


Oh, one last thing.... Guess what?


Tiki butt!  Ha!


(For more specific details of my experience at Test Pilot, click HERE.)


Test Pilot
211 Helena Ave.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
805-845-2518
Website: http://www.testpilotcocktails.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/testpilotcocktails/
Critiki: https://www.critiki.com/location/test-pilot-santa-barbara-1030/


VENTIKI:


Ventiki has a lot going for it. It has a great tiki look, a cool lanai/patio area, and lots of fun decor. It looks like it could be a very fun place, especially if you get to know the staff. Unfortunately for me, even though it was a Monday night, the bar itself was packed and it was crazy just trying to get served. No welcome, no friendly conversation---just what will you have? That is totally understandable given the circumstances, but it also diminishes the experience.

The one saving grace that kind of alleviated some of the alienation was the theme night the bar was having. Every night there is some sort of theme. Usually it ties in with a happy hour or drink special. The night we were there was no different. It was Magnum (as in "Magnum P.I.") Monday and everyone was required to wear a mustache---yes, ladies, too. Small sticky mustaches were on hand to fur up everyone's face. Wearing a mustache also got you 50% off a mai tai. It was fun and silly and helped that awkwardness that you experience in a busy bar scene.


 

I started off the evening with a Ventiki Mai Tai. That was followed by a Chi Chi. .



It was noisy and crowded. My friend wanted to leave. I didn't blame him, but I wanted to soak the place in a little as it may be my only visit there.





We did find out there was a gift shop attached to the bar right next door. It didn't have business hours, but we got one of the employees to take us over there and check it out.


 



Ventiki looked like a cool (and popular) neighborhood bar. I wish we could have experienced it when it was less crowded. I'd love to visit again and get to know the place better. Another time, perhaps.




For it being such a popular spot, they obviously must be doing something right. I just wish we could have been a part of the action instead of the "outsiders" standing against the wall that we were. I'd give it another spin though, given the chance.


CHEERS!

(For more specific details of my experience at Ventiki, click HERE.)

Ventiki
701 E. Main St.
Ventura, CA 93001
805-667-8887
Website: http://www.ventikiloungeandlanai.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Ventiki/
Critiki: https://www.critiki.com/location/ventiki-ventura-819/

Comments

Unknown said…
If you haven’t had a second opportunity, definitely give Ventiki another shot. Their happy hour specials are great and their food is fantastic. The seared Ahi appetizer is out of this world. My wife and I have generally gone mid afternoon/early evening and haven’t typically had to deal with friends as you described (and in turn, I think the friendliness of the staff has been great.) I’m a Bakersfield native and regular at Tiki-Ko and found this blog from your post on Critiki. Keep up the good work!
Monster A Go-Go said…
Dear Unknown... I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I am just now seeing your post. Thanks for the recommendation...but even after my less than captivating visit to Ventiki that first time, I realized I would love to return. I hope I will.

Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

CHEERS!