I’m Freaky for Tiki #16: R.I.P. Don the Beachcomber


It is with a heavy heart that I bid farewell to Don the Beachcomber in Huntington Beach. I only got to visit the place once--about four years ago. I always meant to go back and get better pictures (which is why I delayed writing about it for so long. My photos are pretty AWFUL. My delay in posting anything since its closure was due to my being unable--until now--to find those old bad photos). There were several occasions where I almost got there, but didn't. Another time, I thought. But that time never came--and now Don's is closed. Forever. Here then, bad as they are, are the photos taken that lone night at Don's...


The time I did get to go, I was with my friends Christa Polkinhorn, Eric Tallman and Trin Gibney.  They are all my friends, but this was their first time meeting each other--and my first time meeting Christa in the flesh (having been email pals for a few years prior). I was visiting the Los Angeles area with Trin along for the ride. I was bound and determined to visit Don's on that trip. Trin and I were staying near the airport. Christa lives in Santa Monica and Eric lives in Costa Mesa. Don's was a good central (well, maybe not for Christa) meeting point. I had been anxious to visit for years. (Special THANKS to Christa for the use of some additional photos she had taken that night.)


Another shot of the crew with me. Notice Eric's eyes are closed again (as in the photo above?) There is a shot or two of him with his eyes open...can you find them? Ha!



We started off with drinks in the bar. Fortunately we got there early enough to score a booth for the four of us. I was quickly enamored with the place. The liberal use of bamboo, palm frond thatch and coconut logs made me really feel as if I were on the set of some wild "Gilligan's Island" reboot. It was loud and fun and the drinks were ginormous.





The Rum Barrels Eric, Trin and I had were indeed large. Eric and Trin nursed theirs all evening long.


I believe Christa opted for a classic Mai Tai to start with.


But she clearly sampled many different drinks (all before dinner! SHOCKING!)



Cheers, Christa!



The waiting area of the main dining room also had me in a relaxed, tropical mood.


There wasn't anyone ahead of us, really, but we did have a bit of a wait to be seated.


I wish I had poked around a bit more and taken many more photos. I had heard there was a "secret hidden village"---which I really wanted to see. I did inquire about it, but was told that it was being used by a private party that evening. Darn it all.


The dining room was spacious and nicely detailed. I could have done without the Easter decor though. Who knew these would be the only photos I'd ever have of the place? For dinner, Trin enjoyed her burger and fruit cup.


Christa tried the ribs and coleslaw.


I don't recall what Eric had, but according to this (bad) shot of me, I seem to have had a chicken salad. 



Ah, yes...the drink menu.


Here is a photo of Eric (with his eyes closed--as usual) and I in front of an Easter decorated bamboo background.


 This fountain was just across the room from us.


Here is a shot of the fountain taken from our booth.


More of the dining room...


And here is some freaky tiki wall decor.



Another shot of Eric and I, but this time, Eric has his eyes open. Ha! I'll drink to that.


I did have the foresight to order myself a drink in an official Don the Beachcomber mug. Thank goodness I still have that.


All too soon it was time to leave...


I really wanted to get back to Don's for a second (and third and fourth and...) experience. Being there that night with so many friends--especially with it being the first night of really getting to know Christa--I'm afraid my observations about Don's were minimal. I just was not able to really get to know the place. It is unfortunate---but I am super glad I did get to go there at least once.


Don's closed on April 15th of this year---my birthday. On that day, I was sitting in a tiki bar (High Roller Tiki Lounge) in Solvang on a little vacation. Had I known Don's was closing, my butt would have been seated in a booth there instead. Drat the luck.


The website for Don the Beachcomber is still up and running. It says that they were forced to close by increasing rent demands but that they are looking for a location to possibly re-open some day. Let's hope it happens. I will go back---and this time I'll pay better attention and take better photos.

Aloha, Don's. I only just got to know ya....

CHEERS!

PS You can visit Don's The Beachcomber on Critiki by clicking HERE.

Comments

Mildred Pierce said…
Your visit ruined their business. Of course they closed!
Monster A Go-Go said…
At least I was allowed into the restaurant. You are not even allowed into California. Heck, I am not sure you are even allowed West of the Rockies. Riff raff like you must be contained to the less desirable parts of the country. (But there is talk of having you deported ....from the planet!)
XXOO, dah-ling!

CHEERS!
And, darn it, it wasn't my fault. I DID NOT drink all these drinks in the now empty mugs. Now, I'm not going to disclose all the shameful things Shawn did--which really made them close the shop. Shocking indeed!
We had a great time and I'll be thinking fondly of good old Don the Beachcomber and my new friends!
Monster A Go-Go said…
Darling, I did not mean to imply that all of those empty glasses were the only things you had to drink. Those were just the ones before dinner.

Thanks for leaving a note.

CHEERS!
Mildred Pierce said…
Christa Polkinhorn: rest assured you don't need to tell me how shameful his behavior can be --- I have unfortunately witnessed the grossity myself! I can no longer be seen in public with Shawn as I am a SUCCESSFUL BUSINESSWOMAN and must protect my reputation!
One's name is everything in the restaurant game.

Have a lovely evening.

XOXO
Monster A Go-Go said…
How many restraining orders does it take to make you GO AWAY? So, of course, you can NOT be "seen" with me---or you'd be hauled off to the slammer, you crazy old cow. "Successful businesswoman"? Well, I guess it is the oldest profession in the world (and you are the oldest practitioner). I suppose I can let that one slide by--barely. As for your "restaurant"---eeew! One would be better off "eating" anything other than what the likes of you are "serving" up. GROSS!

XoXo
Mildred Pierce said…
Darling, it's okay! I won't hold this tirade against you as I understand this is your MANIC phase. Why did you stop your medication???

Can you get an emergency appointment with your psychiatrist tomorrow?

Good luck, Whacko!

XOXO
Monster A Go-Go said…
Dearest, as ever, you are very delusional. (Actually rather psychotic, if you want to know the truth.) You think you still have it, that you are in demand. You may still have it--but eeew! NOBODY wants it. (Scary!) Geez, how concerned I am about you. You are far, FAR too old for these bizarre fantasies of yours. You are not rich and famous. You are not secretly married to Scott Baio. President Trump is never going to appoint you to be First Tramp. You are not engaged in a hush-hush lesbian affair with Roseanne Barr. And while your uterus DID fall out about 40 or 50 years ago, it is not telepathically giving you stock market advice from that old box you keep it in in the attic. Freak! You are the one in dire need of help.

Air kisses...
Mildred Pierce said…
Oh my goodness, darling - this is SO SAD.
I just realized what has been afflicting you (besides your chronic mental illness, morbid obesity, pungent halitosis, and pulsating hemorrhoids): I can now *officially* diagnose you with TRUMP DERANGEMENT SYNDROME.

I wonder if the asylum can handle this new ailment!

I'll call and see if you regular room is available!

XOXO
Mildred
Monster A Go-Go said…
Mildred, dah-ling. You are the one who is mentally ill...imagining all of these horrible things about me (If I could get a restraining order for your poor, pathetic little mind, I WOULD). As far as Trump Derangement Syndrome, that is one of your many diagnoses. You misunderstand the derangement. Trump Derangement Syndrome (or TDS....kind of like that other thing you suffer from frequently, the DTs, but with the letters rearranged) is for people who see the president as doing absolutely nothing wrong or a model citizen. So sad. But unlike your chronic chlamydia or gonorrhea, there is unfortunately no cure...kind of like that raging case of Herpes you have...to say nothing of those unsightly anal warts. Oh my. I know it is embarrassing and heartbreaking---but for someone at your ultra advanced age, it is no surprise that you picked up a thing or two along the way...especially since you have such loose morals and no inhibitions. (You'd think you'd learn your lesson by now.)
XOXO