A Visit to DONUT FANTASY: The HOLE True Story...




Today was a very stressful day for me. I was getting my taxes done. I hadn't slept well the night before and I'd had a doctor's appointment first thing in the morning. While I was thrilled to learn I had lost 10 pounds since my previous visit, all I could think about was my taxes.

Taxes! Taxes! TAXES!  I wasn't ready for them, but I HAD to get them done. I had an appointment with my mom's tax lady that afternoon, all of the way across town. I had frantically been turning the house upside down looking for anything tax related. Again this year, I was NOT prepared.

I was so afraid I was going to owe. I was especially nervous when the tax lady (Jan) would take one pile of receipts for car repairs or another for prescription and medical visits and just set them aside.

"We can't use these," she'd say.

My phone was dying and I did not have several of the documents she asked for (like last year's tax return). I was feeling doomed.

When the dust had settled (just a mere 20 minutes after I arrived), I found out that I had just about broken even. I did not owe anything. (Phew!) I would be getting $264 return from federal and $243 from the state. Of course, my tax preparation fees were $225 (Ouch!), so even that small refund was cut in half.

On the way back home, I thought about checking out this crazy donut shop I had been hearing about for months. However, I was too frazzled after my appointment to even think about trying to hunt it down. While I sitting in a daze at a red light in the left-hand lane of Bullard Avenue at West, my eyes wandered...and I noticed a sign that said DONUTS in really loud letters. Oh my stars! Was this the place? I thought it might be.

When the light turned green, I sped up and changed lanes and turned into the shopping complex at the last possible second. I'm sure a few fingers may have been flipped my way or an expletive or two shouted, but I was oblivious to them if they were. I was in search of donuts; strange, unusual donuts.

And there before me -- with a parking space waiting  for me -- was Fantasy Donuts!

I made my way in. There wasn't much of a selection, but it was late in the day, after 4 p.m. I was thrilled that there was anything interesting left.

The donuts themselves are more or less ordinary. They are just decked out with elaborate toppings. There was one called the Poo Emoji that looked like a pile of poop with eyes on it. There was a peanut butter and jelly, which was essentially a jelly donut with peanut butter frosting. When Pigs Fly featured maple frosting with hunks of bacon sprinkled on top. The place reminded me of a Fresno version of the world-famous Voodoo Doughnut that I had visited in Portland, Oregon a few years back (which you can read about and see HERE).






None of them really looked appealing--and truth be told, I was not in the mood for donuts. But, I knew I had to try one...or two...or maybe three, just to say I had. 10-pound weight loss be damned.

So off I trotted, out to the car with my little pink box of oddly frosted carb goodness.



I actually did have three. One was a chocolate chip cookie donut (regular donut---they all were regular donuts as a base--with chocolate frosting, chocolate chips and parts of a chocolate chip cookie on top). It was just okay and kind of messy (well, they all were actually). The second one was a raspberry cheesecake donut (cream cheese and raspberry goo frosting). The final donut was a Flamin' Hot Cheetos donut with cream cheese frosting and the hot Cheetos. The Cheetos were very stale, having been out of their bag for so long. The staleness seemed to rob them of their flamin' hotness, as well.



They were interesting and fun and I'm glad I tried them, but I would not go out of my way to go back there again. This was not my idea of a fantasy...donut or otherwise. But it was delightful trying them out.

Donut Fantasy
1731 W Bullard Ave #111
Fresno, CA 93711
(559) 375-1555

https://donutfantasy.com/

Comments