My Coronavirus Diary Part 37



There are more than 2.3 million confirmed cases of the coronavirus worldwide. Many countries are are just now beginning to feel the hit and are struggling to obtain ventilators. The country of South Sudam, for example, has a population of 12 million people and only has 4 ventilators.

Here, hospitals are now finding they need more dialysis machines as many COVID 19 patients end up in kidney failure.

Ohio just had a 1,000 case increase on Saturday. Pennsylvania had an additional 1,600.

Testing is still an issue. The startup company Curative has been given an emergency use authorization from the FDA for the coronavirus tests it has created and been using in the Los Angeles area. Google has now started listing testing centers across the country in its searches for COVID 19. Meanwhile a random test for antibodies in Massachusetts has shown that one third of those tested were positive for the antibodies. A similar study in Santa Clara County in California revealed similar data. Yet a top scientist in the UK is 80% sure that a vaccine will be ready by September.

New York City has had more than 13,000 deaths. The number continues to rise, but the daily number of those needing hospitalization continues to decline as social distancing measures stay in place.

But the push to re-open amidst the pandemic continues, especially in the red states. Jacksonville, Florida re-opened its beaches. They were soon crowded and, as the report shows, there was not much social distancing going on. (Interestingly enough, the state reported 516 new cases on Friday and the state now has more than 25,000 cases total.)



South Dakota, which is still not locked down, is now publishing negative test results, as those far outnumber the positive testing results (for now). Some experts have tried to describe how civil liberties and public health can be balanced. An article in The Atlantic shows when things do re-open, the virus will not be gone, and life will have to be adjusted.

The president keeps insisting he has been on top of the virus in this country since it arrived. Last Tuesday during the daily coronavirus task force update, his team spent time demonstrating the presidents actions throughout February, which many critics point to as the "lost month" where he did nothing. CNN took a look at his so-called actions and broke them down. They still amount to a whole lot of nothing.



In Santa Monica, California, 10 nurses were suspended for refusing to work with COVID 19 patients without N95 masks. NPR reports that more than 9,000 US healthcare workers have tested positive for COVID 19.

Nearly 40,000 people have died in the United States from this virus. CNN has put up a memorial board where family and friends can post photos about a victim and tell that person's story.

On a positive note, a Bay Area man who was in the hospital for a month, finally went home. The community celebrated.

With much of the world on lockdown, nature is enjoying a much-deserved vacation from people. Sea turtles are thriving on Florida's empty beaches, a pride of lions was seen lounging around on a road in South Africa, and goats have taken over a small town in Wales. The lack of pollution in the air is also aiding scientists to better understand climate changes.

Being innovative during lockdown led this surfer to create his own amazing surfing video. There is also a worldwide craze about making an instant coffee treat called the Dolgona Challenge.

I've had short emails or texts from several people (Janet, Sue, and Kevin), but they did not really share any details of what was going on with them. My co-worker Sandy and friend Art in Boston sent me articles to review (and are probably included above). I spoke to my mother on Whidbey Island in Washington several times about the projects she is working on to stay busy and with my friend Erich in San Leandro, CA. He says that they are now required to wear face masks when out of the house; it's no longer optional.

My CNA friend Kim in Wisconsin did send a newsy note.

"Things are going good this way, so far," she said.  "I am staying well and staying home as much as possible. Wisconsin is now hitting the 4,000 mark for cases and 200 deaths.  I have heard that if you die of Corona, you get buried as soon as possible. That is what your family is told. There's no say at all.  Scary.

"The hospital is making sure that we have work. I have trained in housekeeping and dining. I do not mind, as long as I have a job.

The governor, Tony Evers, has extended the Stay At Home Order until May 24th.  I feel that the only way to get this virus under control is a vaccine. Like you said, this is a long way off. I am still dreaming of Hawaii in March. It's something good to look forward to.

"My grandma is still hanging in there. My aunt told her to go be with her husband. She had a fit. She got really mad. I'm thinking grandma might not be ready. She has not eaten or drank anything, so I'm not sure what is holding her here. She does have a niece in Texas. She might be waiting for her. I think we should set up a visit on-line, so grandma can see her."

There is not much going on with me. I finished up and posted another movie poster blog page. It's mostly cheap crap. I was working on it before my birthday poster blog post and just quickly finished it off with some inexpensive posters just to get it done. It will be my last one for quite a while as I have to really focus on paying down mountains of debt. In the meantime, I'll work on weeding out my posters, getting some ready to sell and properly store others. I'm also still working on my poster collection Instagram page.

I also really want to finish my post on San Diego tiki bars in the next few days. I am so close to finishing it, but I keep putting it off.

But I did get my dining room table cleared off finally. Ha!

Shirley was not having a good day yesterday. When I woke up, she was already wandering around the kitchen, anxious to go out. She had already pooped on the floor. (Thank you, Shirley...) I opened the door for her and she walked over to it, stuck her head out and looked around...and went back to her box. It had rained the night before and was still a bit iffy out.

Later, the sun was out. I picked her up, took her, and sat her down in it. Then the clouds came back and covered it. She waited a good while before she gave up and just came back inside; back to her cardboard condo--in self-quarantine until another sunny day comes along.



I know how she feels.

Stay SAFE. Stay SHELTERED. Stay ALIVE.


CHEERS!



Continue to the next part HERE.

Comments

Thanks for another post. I always look forward to them, in spite of the scary numbers. I'm so grateful I can work from home. I go for my daily walk and occasional grocery shopping but order mostly online. I actually enjoy the more quiet times, the empty streets--you can hear birds sing all over. When I meet someone on my walk, we step aside to honor physical distancing, say hello through our masks and smile. At least in my neighborhood, people have been very friendly and considerate. This morning I indulged in a mocca latte from Peet's (order ahead) and tonight I'm going to soak some beans. Simple things, simple pleasures. I'm grateful to be alive and well. Stay safe, Shawn. I'm looking forward to see you again in person once this is over with.
Monster A Go-Go said…
CHRISTA!

Hi there. I'm glad self-isolation agrees with you. And don't be surprised if your comment doesn't end up in my blog tomorrow. Ha!

About the birds...you know, Erich mentioned that the other day and I've noticed it too.

Yes, we will have to get together again once this is over.

Take care. Thanks again for visiting the blog.

CHEERS!