The Great Northwest Move Part 6: Visitors, Snow, Christmas, and Baby, It's C-O-L-D Outside!!! BRR!

 


Visitors, Snow, Christmas, and Baby, It's C-O-L-D Outside!!! BRR!

Now that all of my stuff had been delivered (more than a month after it had been picked up), I began unpacking in earnest. Not only did I want to make my house look more presentable and less like a storage shed, Christmas was coming and so was my friend Nedra. I had to get busy.

While I was able to go through a lot of crap, unpack it and put it away where it belongs, a lot of stuff I didn't have time for yet. So it got moved to the room or area it will belong to until I do have time to deal with it. 
My house is still a mess...but it slowly got better the more I worked on it. There was no way it would be finished by the time Nedra arrived and Christmas came--but it would better than it was.

Christmas lights:

Having just gotten back from a wonderful weekend in the Christmasy faux-Bavarian village of Leavenworth, I was really in the Christmas spirit. While I didn't have the time to decorate my house, I was delighted to learn there was an amazing light display on the island not too far away. Erich, who was still here visiting, and I went to check it out and it was awesome. Truly.


Both sides of the street were totally decorated. I believe it is the work of one family. It was so fantastic, I took my mother back a few days later and also took Nedra when she finally came to town. It was ho-ho-ho magical.

Mom picked up these rope lights for me that I planned to wrap around my deck railings, but they got lost in the sea of boxes. (They've since been found and will be put out next year.) I had one of those  light projector things. Mine is a cheap-o and didn't work very well. I was just too busy to decorate properly, since I had just moved in. The things I was most happy about were finding the wooden Santa and giant candy cane that my grandfather had made in either the 1950s or 60s. It was nice to have those up in my new place.


Vye had asked if I had gotten a tree. I had found my little purple Christmas tree. But that was all I had planned on having for the year.

A few days before Christmas, the UPS man made a delivery. Inside was a cute, easy-to-assemble artificial Christmas tree--also purple--from Vye. Zowie! Erich got a simple strand of lights to wrap around it and--PRESTO! Instant Christmas tree suitable for Christmas morning.

Christmas cards and gifts:

Wow! Christmas cards flooded the mailbox this year. I know it is hard to see here, but my mantle was just too small for them all. The cards were stacked three or four deep and were on top of each other. I still received more, some even more than a week after the holiday. (The last one arrived January 4th.) Of course, I mailed out more than 150 cards myself. I realize no one sends cards any more. I wasn't expecting such a response, but... Ho! Ho! Ho!

Golly, I had gifts galore arrive as well. My friends are so amazing. THANK YOU all. There were so many cool things--tiki mugs, candy, clothing items, fruit, gift cards, etc.--yet several things came to me that I am clueless as to their origin. 

While I did receive Christmas chocolates from my friends Christa and Jenny and a big (HUGE) box of goodies from my friend Dina, I also received a few other boxed of chocolates anonymously. I have no idea who sent them.

All I know is that they all mysteriously, um... disappeared. (Yeah, that's what happened. Uh huh.) Oh my stars!


This pocket knife also arrived early in the holiday mail season with no note or anything to clue me in as to who sent it. It was only after Christmas that I learned it was from my former co-worker Mike. 

I got a Trader Sam's tiki mug from my friend Eric, a cool Scooby Doo-themed mug from Vye, and an adorable tiny Santa tiki mug Christmas ornament from Kindra. But I have no idea who sent this awesome one.

This nifty ELF-themed mug also showed up without any note or way to determine who had sent it. And it was broken. Waaaagh!
 Fortunately I was able to get ahold of Amazon and they sent a replacement out. I also learned the mug had come from my former co-worker Mandy. Zowie! So sweet of her.
 

So many things came--wow! Thank you all. I got a custom coffee mug from Shookie, long johns from Robin & Skye. Melaney sent a flannel shirt. Janet sent a nifty vintage tiki flyer. John sent me a Visa gift card (for way too much money)! But there was one last gift that again I have no idea who sent it. It was a giant bag of underwear! Ha! (I just found out this was sent by former co-worker Jerry and his family. Hee hee!)


Nedra arrives:

On December 23rd, my friend Nedra arrived. Nedra is my oldest friend--or, I should say, she is the friend I've known the longest. I met her when I was a junior (and she was a freshman) in high school in the fall of 1981. We became fast friends and have been part of each others' lives since. Nedra lives in Los Angeles now and this would make the third Christmas in a row we'd get to spend together. 
When she announced her plans to visit, I tried to dissuade her and have her come in the spring or summer when the weather is nicer and the days are longer. Despite the cold, short days and the decidedly non-Californian weather, I think she rather enjoyed her visit.

Meds:

One of the things that I have had to struggle with during the move is getting my medications in place. I thought I had them all lined up to be filled via mail order and I thought I'd had everything filled before I moved. But that apparently was not the case. UGH! About a week before Christmas, I ran out of one of my blood pressure medications. Swell. I went to the bag of meds that had just been refilled and...there was not a bottle there. My mom actually had a bottle of the same medication and dosage that I was taking---so I had that to last me a few days. I was calling CVS--both the mail order place and my old pharmacy. My pharmacy couldn't send them as I was too far away. The mail order place couldn't send them because the pharmacy had taken possession of the prescription and I had to fight to get it relinquished back to the mail order place. 
In the mean time, I was trying to call my cardiologist's office and get them to send a prescription to a pharmacy here on the island--since we do not have a CVS. I explained the situation and was assured they'd handle things...only to find they were NOT handled. I had to call the cardiologist's office 4 or 5 times altogether. Even though I told them I wanted the prescription sent to a pharmacy here, I think they just sent it to my pharmacy in California. One of my doctor's assistants left a voice mail stating that my doctor was no longer with the practice and I'd have to find another doctor because they couldn't prescribe for me any more. Hello? I had just been to the office in October and had been told they would help until I got established elsewhere with a cardiologist. That takes time. I don't even meet my new primary doctor until later this month and he will be the one referring me to a cardiologist. Geez. 
On my last call to the cardiologist's office, I got someone who was intelligent and understood what I needed. She not only got my prescription sent in, she wrote it to last for an entire year---so there won't be any more hassles until I get started with a new doctor. 
On Christmas Eve I was finally able to go and pick up my pills...and the line was huge.
The pharmacist was all alone that day for some reason. He hadn't had a break since he started in the morning. After he helped me, I asked if I could get him anything. He asked for something with caffeine. I got him a Starbucks Frappacino and one of those Monster drinks. Poor guy. But I got my pills.

Christmas Eve:

Erich's family had a tradition, all during his growing up years, of going out for Chinese food on Christmas Eve. We went to China City in Freeland for dinner. There's another, closer location in Oak Harbor, but the Freeland location is much nicer. It was a delightful evening. Mom even decided to go with us. That almost never happens.

Christmas:

Christmas morning was c-o-l-d, but sunny. I was pleased. Despite moving, unpacking, etc. I was actually ready for Christmas on time. All of my 150+ cards had been filled out and sent. Presents had been wrapped and mailed or placed under the tree. My house wasn't free of moving clutter, but it looked a lot better than it had. With friends here, I was actually going to be able to enjoy the holiday.

Nedra was like a kid on Christmas morning. She couldn't wait to open presents.
The gifts were fun. Nedra gave me this cool art piece character. Erich got me several pairs of these expensive socks I have to wear.
After presents, Nedra decided to break out into cleaning mode. I balked at the idea initially. After all, I had just moved in and my stuff had arrived just weeks earlier. And it was just Mom and Pam from downstairs coming over. They'd already seen the place.
But she vacuumed and moved (hid) things and covered all of the boxes in the living room with blankets and afghans. The place did look better.
Of course, I also had the Christmas music playing...
Yes, the dining room had a wall of boxes around it, but it was far better in there than it had been right after my stuff had been delivered. The table looked nice despite it all.
And then it snowed. I got this picture of a deer crossing the street during the initial snowfall.
Even though it was only a dusting, having a "white Christmas" was unique for we three Californios. Nedra and Erich decided to go for a walk and check it out.
Mom came over later...and it started snowing again. Erich, Mom, Nedra, and I couldn't help but watch it fall. It was magical almost.
Mom and Nedra hadn't seen each other in at least 20 years. 
It was so nice having Nedra up in Washington for Christmas. I can't believe I tried to dissuade her from coming until the weather was nicer.
Mom has been saying she wanted a 40-inch TV to fit in a cabinet she has. Back in the day, 40-inch TVs were considered huge and expensive. When I went looking to get her one at Christmas, you couldn't find one. 40-inches was too small! Erich and I finally scored her one on Amazon. Erich wrapped it and we stood it on end to make it less obvious. Of course, before Christmas Mom came over to the house, saw the box and said, "Who's getting a TV?" UGH!
Pam from downstairs joined us for Christmas dinner. It was a nice time. We had enchiladas, rice, beans, salad, and our special Christmas cranberry cocktails. Mmmm.
Of course, the snow had continued off and on throughout the day. Mom decided she didn't want to chance going home in it, so she stayed the night in the third guest room. But all and all, it was a wonderful Christmas. Ho ho ho!

Snow in Coupeville and lunch at Toby's:
The next day, the world was white. Mom tried, but could not get her car going to back out. She couldn't even get into her car. The doors were frozen shut. 
A simple white Christmas had given way to a regular winter wonderland. 
From my bedroom window that morning, I watched a pair of deer wander the snowy streets. 
It was literally freezing outside. Nedra spent the morning making her unicorn head pillow -- a gag gift Erich had gotten her. 
Elsewhere, I saw a family braving the low temperatures and playing in the snow.
Eventually, curiosity got the better of me. I wanted to see how Coupeville looked in the snow. So with my cane firmly in hand, I set off to check things out.
I am just two or three blocks from the heart of town on Front Street. Because it was the day after Christmas and we'd had snow, I was surprised to see so many cars in town.
Truth be told, instead of just wanting to see the town covered by snow, I was hoping to get some pictures that could possibly serve as Christmas cards the following year. 
While some things, like the wharf, didn't really look all that different...
Other places really looked winter-y.
It was very quiet on Front Street that morning, 




Wouldn't this snowman be great if, instead of the beret, it had Bob Ross hair? Ha!
The green/gray building on the left is The Little Red Hen, a bakery and sandwich shop. At some point during the freezing temperatures, it had a pipe burst. 




My brother's house (and his truck parked off to the side) looked seasonally spectacular with the snow. I think I might take this picture and have some Christmas cards made for him. He probably won't use them, but it wouldn't hurt to try. 


I spotted a group of deer foraging in the snow. One was trying to eat leaves off of a tree. 
And then I was headed back home.
Of course, once I was back, Mom decided that we should all go down to Toby's for lunch. Nedra, who had gone off exploring after I had left, was already on Front Street. We called her and she went and got us a table. 
On the way there, I took more pictures. The dog and fire hydrant sculpture and girl reading on a bench statue in front of the visitor center were interesting subjects with their snow covering. 
The ground was slippery, but we all made it down Front Street easily.

There are only a handful of restaurants in town. Front Street Grill, like Toby's, is on the water, but it's kind of  overpriced and obviously for tourists. (In other words, it's not that good.) Toby's is a dive, but is "where the locals eat." At least, that's what my mom says. Plus she likes the fish and chips there. 
Nedra had been anxious to try Toby's. On the shuttle from the airport, she had heard some lady passenger exclaim "Toby's mussels!" when they pulled in to town. 
Mom had her fish & chips, of course. Nedra did order the mussels (grown right here in Penn Cove). They're okay, but if I were to get mussels in town, I would go to Front Street Grill. They have a variety of different mussel dishes. Oh well. Nedra didn't know. 
But she seemed to be having a good time anyway.
After lunch, I walked home again in a roundabout way, taking more pictures. 

There is a playground across the street from my house, surrounded by vegetation. 
The church down the street from me owns it, I think, but no one ever uses it. I checked it out and was delighted to see my house from there.
Mom had been hoping the sun would melt the snow and she'd be able to get her car out. She tried several times, but she just could not get it to back up the small hill of my drive way. So, for the second night, we had another roommate.

Langley:

December 27th dawned sunny, but still below freezing. Mom was determined to get herself and her truck out of the driveway and home. She was finally able to get into her truck and get it going to warm it up. My car was also warming up. 

Mom managed to get her truck backed up the hill of my driveway and get on home. Hooray. 

Nedra and Erich had gone on a walk to the bluffs. The plan was for me to pick them up at the trailhead near the cemetery on the hill and head into Langley. Before that, though, I hoped to get some more shots of snow-covered things on the outskirts of town.

The wooden snowmen at the town border seemed to fit right in.
Coup's Village, a shopping center, looked almost surreal to me seeing it covered in snow. 
This cool farm looked straight out of New England...not an island in the Pacific Northwest.

This house also looked rather Currier & Ives. I almost expected to see a horse-drawn sleigh come round the bend any moment.


Even Mom's house looked festively frosty.
But then I got the call from Erich and Nedra. They were heading back down the trail. It was time to head to the cemetery.

Sunnyside Cemetery is on the hillside of the west (?) side of town.
I parked at the entrance to the cemetery and trailhead. There is a vista point there that looks out on the Ebey Prairie. 
Since I had to wait, I decided to drive through the cemetery a little bit and get some more pictures. 
I know it is no big deal, but it was just so weird seeing the cemetery covered in snow as well.
I wondered how much snow the old blockhouse in the cemetery (one of four on the island) has seen over the years.
Years ago, I lucked out and got to take an historical tour of the cemetery when I had been up to the island visiting. The town is very big on its history.
That day though, I couldn't remember a thing about it. All I could think was that for a place called Sunnyside, it certainly didn't seem very warm or inviting. Brr. 
And then I spotted Nedra...
Once Nedra and Erich piled into the car, we headed off to Langley, about 30 minutes away.
I'd never been there at Christmas time before. I really liked the Christmas decorations near and on the statue of the boy looking out to the sound with his dog. The snow made it perfect.
We got into Langley kind of late in the day. Nedra and Erich were wanting to eat, so the first thing we did was head to the Bistro above the Star Store (which was closed -- and a major disappointment as we all wanted to visit it.)
We had fun up there. We had cocktails (Mine, whatever it was, utilized a Krampus liqueur), French onion soup, mussels and other yumminess.
Even though the town was illuminated, there were not many shops open and the town was mostly deserted.
I'd been to Langley lots of times, so it was no big deal to me. But this was Nedra's first visit. I was disappointed for her.
I stopped by the glass sculpture garden that is part of a gallery next door. 
I'd seen it before, but never illuminated. The snow created an interesting accent to it all.
One shop we did get into is one of Erich's favorites, Music for the Eyes. It's a shop that carries wares (carpets, jewelry, clothes, etc.) that have been crafted in other parts of the world. There is some amazing stuff in there. 
Back home, the houses out the back window looked Hallmark card Christmas-y perfect. 

Shirley:

Since the fierce storm that knocked the power out not long after I arrived here, Shirley has been sleeping in her box with this heating mechanism hanging over her. When the temperatures started heading south here, I moved the heat unit down to ensure her warmth. However, I think I made her too warm as I found her one day with most of her body outside of the box. 
I raised the heating doodad back up to where it had been before. I expected to find her back inside the box a few days later. Instead, I found her almost all of the way out. Is she waking up? She is still asleep, but I left a water bowl out for her just in case. I later noticed that she looked as if she was trying to navigate herself back into the box backwards, but her butt end hit the side. I don't think that, in her somnambulistic state, she can figure out that she needs to readjust.

Deception Pass:

On the last day of 2021, Nedra decided she wanted to check out Deception Pass. The sky was sunny, although there was still snow. Her days were limited. Why not go? Deception Pass is where there is a land bridge connecting Whidbey Island to Fidalgo Island (where you can catch another bridge that connects to the mainland). It's the only way off of the island that does not require a ferry. We stopped for gas on the way. $3.219? I am constantly blown away by the gas prices here. We are definitely not in California any more.

Nedra was suitably impressed with the views and the bridge at the pass.
She and Erich decided to walk the bridge. There are actually two spans. There is a small, island that acts as a bridge between the two and is where Island County meets Skagit County.
I had intended to meet them on the little island after they set off. But there had been no place to pull off on the south-bound side. So I continued on to the far side of the bridge.
The road was clear, but not the narrow walking path. It was filled with slushy snow. 
It was a quick stop--but Nedra seemed to have enjoyed it.
When we got home, I took a picture that just might be my Christmas card next year. (Act surprised if it is.)


New Year's Eve:

We didn't really have plans New Year's Eve. For dinner, we wanted to go someplace special or nice. But where do you go on an island? We ended up at Callen's, which is a pretty decent place near the Port Townsend ferry terminal. 

There are two sides of Callen's. Unfortunately we got seated in the side that had live entertainment. They were okay--but LOUD. We couldn't really enjoy our conversation. Erich and Nedra enjoyed their meals. Mine was okay. 
Back at my place, we decided to play games until midnight. Nedra made an hors d'oeuvre plate. We invited my mom and Pam from downstairs. Both declined. We also invited my brother and nephew.
...To my utter surprise, they came. They arrived about 11. This was the first time I had seen my brother since arriving November 6th. (And he lives just a block and a half away!)
Ronnie and Nedra are the same age...and were in the same year of high school when she and I met. That had been in the fall of 1981...40 years ago! (WHERE did the time go?)
I don't really know my nephew all that well as he's lived up here since he was very young. He's 18 now. But I am proud of him. He seems very bright. It is his senior year of high school, but he has no classes. Instead, he is taking all college classes online. He'll graduate with his high school classmates in June, but that's all he really has to do with the high school actually.
Since I hadn't seen them for Christmas, we exchanged our presents that night. One of the things they got me was A NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS-themed card game. It was for ages 6+, but hello? It was so complicated and so convoluted that none of us could figure out how to play it. Ha!
But it was a nice ending to 2021. Ron and Brawn were only here a short while, but we all had a nice time.

New Year's Day in Port Townsend:

New Year's Day promised to be cold--but without rain or much wind. We were running out of time for Nedra's visit, so she and I took the car and caught the ferry to Port Townsend for the day.

I know the size and scope of this photo is impossible to make out, but I was astounded to see Ebey's Prairie covered in snow along with the bluffs I used to walk on my visits here (back when I could do walks).
We were soon arriving at Port Townsend.
We wanted to get breakfast when we arrived in town. I knew of a few places, but Nedra had found a place called the Blue Moose Cafe while searching online, so we thought we'd try it. It was in the middle of a shipyard, but it turned out to be great. 
The place was kind of funky and eclectic, but the menu looked decent, it was full of diners (We were lucky to get a table!), and they make their own brand of coffee.
I don't recall what Nedra had, but I opted for their special Monte Cristo sandwich (without ham-yuck!). Ooooo. This place ain't Denny's.
Because the roads were icy, we didn't get to visit Fort Worden or much of the "Uptown" (as in, on top of the hill) section of the city. We went to the old "Downtown" section (at the base of the hill along the sound), walked around and visited some shops. There is a small park with stairs to the "uptown" portion of Port Townsend. In the center is this fountain that was completely frozen over. 
We caught our ferry back and rejoined Erich for dinner.

At midnight that night, I got my Fake Jan Day video for the year posted. Erich and Nedra had helped me with it -- and I so appreciated their help.



Into 2022 and Nedra leaves:

The snow finally started melting on the 2nd, which was also Fake Jan Day. All three of us--Nedra, Erich, and myself--had enjoyed the beauty of the snow, but I hated driving in it. UGH! 


There was one instance where we were heading into Oak Harbor for something. We had to climb a hill and stop at a stop sign--no problem. But when I was trying to go forward again, I couldn't get any traction. It was scary. Were we going to go sliding backwards down the hill? Erich and Nedra had to get out and push. I was so worried the car would fall back on them! Fortunately they got me going again and we continued on our way. So when the snow melted, at least driving wise, I was thrilled.

I ran into my brother at Safeway in Oak Harbor on the 3rd. It was only the second time I'd seen him since arriving. Although I had been bugging him about getting his COVID booster shot and he kept saying he would...I finally just made an appointment for him. 


These sweet, little deer have come foraging through my "green recycling" program. I'm sure they must be siblings, but the one on the right is so much smaller. Where is their mama? They've come by a couple of times and she is never with them. I'm guessing she was hit by a car or that she was a victim of one of the early morning hunters I occasionally hear around here. (And where do they legally hunt? I can't think of any areas around here that are not occupied or open to the public.) Poor things. 

After the 1st, Nedra's days here were winding down. She originally had plans to visit friends in Vancouver, Canada for New Year's, but they came down with COVID. The same thing happened with a friend in Seattle. Scary. Nedra got her booster here a few days before New Year's Eve...in preparation for her Canadian excursion. Even though she didn't get to go, she's glad she got the shot.


Nedra wanted a shot of she and I together. This is it...
Nedra has been a big bundle of energy. I hope she's had a good time, despite the snow and the cancelation of some of her plans.

For her last night here, we went to the Thai place, Mai Thai. It was pretty good...but they still have not figured out the concept of "family-style dining" and we had to ask for extra plates and bowls, etc.
Then, the next morning at 4:30 a.m (UGH!), we took Nedra to the shuttle.
Instead of going to SeaTac, she took off from Paine Field in Everett. The shuttle dropped her off there. That's a new option. Nedra flew to Portland and saw friends there before Amtrak-ing it to Eugene to see other friends.
But we had a swell time, I'm glad she came (and I'm NOT sorry that her Canada plans were canceled. We got to have her all to ourselves.)

Erich's last few days:

After Nedra's departure, the rains came again and the hurricane-like gale winds. It was definitely stay-at-home weather. Instead of going through more of my boxes, which I will be doing soon enough, I decided to start putting some of the thousands (literally) of vintage movie posters I have into the hundreds (literally) of frames -- so I can decorate my house (and terrorize future guests)!


Yes, I love tiki, travel, and writing. But one of my biggest passions (since I was about 11 or 12 years old) is collecting vintage movie posters. I usually prefer old horror movie posters--and that is mostly what I display--but I also collect other genres, such as spy/James Bond, fantasy, kiddie matinee stuff, disaster, etc.

In the last 10 years or so, I've tried to keep a blog of my collection. I keep it so I can SEE my posters, since the bulk of them are folded up in boxes or rolled in tubes. So, bringing them out and framing a bunch is just wonderful to me. I LOVE looking at them. This is my ART.
I'll hang the posters in my room, of course, probably the dining room (once I get the rest of the boxes out of there) and maybe the TV area. However, I'll probably not hang any in the guest rooms (except for the few Erich asked me to put up in "his" room.) I don't want to "scare" any one.
But I just love my posters. A lot of them are for bad movies you've never heard of before---and those are the ones where the best part of the movie IS the poster itself. 

While packing to move, I had found a little disposable camera with film in it that needed developing. Everyone warned me not to bother, that it was a waste of time. I'm inclined to agree---now that I got the film back. The pictures appear to be from a mini-baby shower my parents threw for my brother and his ex...about 18 1/2 years ago! The images have darkened with heat and age (from years of being in my garage) and are hard to make out. They're nothing we couldn't have lived without seeing. Except my nephew might want to see them someday. Or not. 

With the snow behind us and the deer being looked after, Erich was concerned about the birds. So, Mom got us some suet for the birds and we bought a seed feeder. To paraphrase the movie FIELD OF DREAMS: If you put it out there, they will come... And they are. Hooray!

On his second-to-the-last day (It was a Sunday. They were closed Monday.), Erich and I went all of the way down to Clinton to try this Chinese food place we had first noticed a sign for during our visit to the island in early October. The place has apparently been there for decades, but my mom (who has been here at least 15 years), brother, and nephew all seemed oblivious to the place. Neither Erich or I had ever noticed it on any previous visits over the years either. All we knew about Hong Kong Gardens was that it had a view...and served cocktails!
Apparently we were not the only ones oblivious to the place. While there were a half dozen or so patrons in the bar, the restaurant was completely empty, except for two small children (apparently part of the family that owns the place) who were playing inside.
The kids directed us to the bar, where an adult then reseated us in the dining room for dinner. Our drink orders were taken, but then the oldest kid (who wasn't very old at all)  decided to help out and came over to take out order. Erich asked the poor kid several questions, which he didn't know the answer to. Finally, as his little brother came over to help, we gave him our orders.
The drinks came. I had a Mai Tai (It was serviceable, but not fantastic.) Erich had a Tom Collins. And then the waitress brought out this big platter of fried rice. We had ordered these combination dinners. Fried rice was included in the meal, but this much? I spoke up to clarify the order. Away went the platter of fried rice... We heard some raised voices in the kitchen momentarily, but before long our combo plates emerged.
We shared our entrees so we could try them. The food was not China City-quality, but it was --like the drink--serviceable. It was like the typical hole-in-the-wall Chinese joint in any city. The selling point of this place was not the food, though. It was the view. I think it's the only place on the island with a hilltop view. It would have been better if the windows were clean, but whatever. Far below, we could see the cars lined up for the ferry. The Clinton-Mulilteo Ferry was back to only running one ferry (as opposed to the usual two) due to staffing issues...so the ferry was running hourly instead of every 30 minutes. 

Because there is so much moisture here, people have to buy these things called DampRid to keep the moisture from destroying things (clothes, documents, expensive vintage movie posters, etc.). The bags pull moisture into the top where there are dry chemicals. It then settles into and fills up the lower bag. As Erich pulled out his suitcase to pack, he noticed that the inside was wet. Weird. It was then discovered that the DampRid collection bag had a hole in it and had been dripping into his bag for the last couple of months. UGH! Erich was understandably very upset and there was an oily residue he just could not get off. 
On his last day, we went to lunch at the Front Street Grill. 
 
While sitting at our table, I noticed these two women sitting at the bar. Neither appeared to have any legs. How bizarre-O! (Both were just sitting on their legs for some reason. Who does that, especially on a bar stool?)
And then it was time for Erich to leave. We got to the shuttle pick-up spot a little early, but the shuttle was right behind us. It was supposed to leave at 5:15 but it was gone by 5:11 or 5:12. 
And then Erich was gone---and I was alone. With both Erich and Nedra gone, it is weird in the house. I miss them. It's not even missing being with them, but just their presence as well. 

So what am I going to do now? Well, I was supposed to be doing a Zoom-type writing class, where people log on together and write for two hours--just to make sure they get some writing in. I had all sorts of problems getting the program installed the night before. Then, this morning, I couldn't log into the meeting. I kept getting error messages inside of error messages inside of error messages, on into infinity it seemed. UGH! I'll just have to try again next week.
In addition to writing, I've still got my boxes to unpack and go through, posters to hang up, etc. I meet my new general practitioner on the 27th, head back to California for three weeks to get my house ready to sell on the 28th (returning to Washington on February 19th) and then have to go back to California in early April for my social security disability hearing April 5th. Following that, Erich and I had discussed going on a trip somewhere to tie in with my birthday, which would follow 10 days after the hearing. We'll see what happens. It all depends on COVID, my health, and so many other factors. On top of all of that, I desperately need a haircut. Yikes! It's been three months since the last one. I've got to get it done. But WHERE?  I definitely have enough to keep me busy.
Thanks for visiting the blog.
CHEERS!




Comments

Oh, my God, this is fascinating. It's a wonderful place and with all the snow and the festivities it looked like a true Christmas scene. It was great having your friends and relatives there. You obviously had a fantastic time. I did notice that you guys spent a lot of time eating and drinking! Now, I know, I don't have to go to Switzerland for a white Christmas! Happy New Year again.
Monster A Go-Go said…
Hi Christa! You are welcome up here any time. It's just a plane and a shuttle ride away. Eat and drank a lot? Well, I think we pretty much ate and drank every day. It's what people do. (Especially when there is little else to do...) How were your holidays? I hope they were fun and festive. Thanks for visiting the blog. CHEERS!
Cathy said…
What a great Christmas Shawn! Your first Christmas! Your house looks so pretty with the snow around it. So pretty! So glad that Erich was there and your friend Nedra. Made your first Christmas so much more fun. Great that your mom, brother an nephew got together over the holidays. Love the deer, the snow, your location and the lights and tiki drinks! It's a very fun area, very fun house, and very fun with family and exploring your new place! Congratulations! Travis says Hi! Happy New Year! Cheers!
Monster A Go-Go said…
Cathy and Travis...how are you? And come on down...or up, I should say. You should know that you both are always welcome here as well. Thank you for looking at the blog. Yes, it is great Erich and Nedra could both be here for the holidays. Their presence really made Christmas and New Year special. CHEERS!
Mike O said…
Glad you got to have such a nice Christmas with your family and friends! And a White Christmas as that ... haven't had one of those in a long time! I really enjoyed seeing all the photos of the snow. Yes...sounds like it was really cold, but hopefully it will be warming up there soon.
Monster A Go-Go said…
Mr. Mike
How nice of you to visit the blog. (And it was a long, dull, chatty one at that. Snore...) I'm sure you've had your fair share of white Christmases growing up in Massachusetts and you don't have to worry about the Brr-factor in Florida. CHEERS!